This Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta is incredibly comforting and is also simple to make! With sun-dried tomatoes, peas, and a hearty sauce, this meal is super satisfying and full of flavor. This recipe is easy enough to make a great weeknight dinner, yet it feels special too!
This blog post is sponsored by DeLallo.
As Spring is in full swing, this is a perfect transition meal to incorporate bright peas and tangy sun-dried tomatoes in a comforting pasta meal. The sauce is creamy and cheezy, with both parmesan and mozzarella (dairy-free) for lots of bold flavor. The fresh parsley provides additional flavor and brightness.
It’s like a warm hug in a bowl, that will have you coming back for seconds (and stealing forkfuls straight from the pot!).
Thanks to DeLallo products, this meal comes together so easily! This recipe uses the DeLallo Shellbows and Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes, along with a hint of DeLallo Chopped Calabrian Chili Peppers for some spice and depth. With the DeLallo products, you can easily add tremendous flavor and something special to your meal. The products are incredibly versatile and can be used in everything from pasta to salad, soups, sandwiches and stews.
The DeLallo Shellbows are one of my personal favorite pasta shapes. They’re so fun to eat, and they also pick up the sauce like a dream! Their shape provides a perfect vessel to capture delicious, creamy sauce in this recipe.
I love using the DeLallo Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes in a variety of recipes. They pack a flavor punch SO easily and quickly, and add uniqueness to so many dishes. I particularly love these sun-dried tomatoes in pastas like this one, and you can use them in everything from creamy pastas to pasta salads. The julienne cut makes it super easy to add them effortlessly in the dish. It keeps your chopping at a minimum, saving you time and effort.
Tips For Making This Recipe & Substitutions
Salt the pasta water to make the pasta extra flavorful. I like to use a couple tablespoons of kosher salt.
Remember to reserve some pasta cooking water prior to draining the pasta. You’ll want to reserve around 1 cup of pasta cooking water. The pasta cooking water will be incorporated into the creamy sauce.
The fresh parsley is wonderful in this dish but if you don’t have fresh on hand, you can use dried parsley. Start with around 2 tsp and add more if you like.
Peas are a perfect springy addition to the pasta, but feel free to use sauteed asparagus or broccolini florets, or even baby spinach.
How This Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Comes Together
Cooking the Pasta & Peas
Start by bringing a pot of water to boil on the stove, then add the DeLallo Shellbows. Also add around 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, and stir. The salt will help to add flavor to the pasta as it cooks. Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente. Before draining the pasta, reserve around 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain. In a separate small pot, boil the frozen peas for 3 minutes, then drain.
Making the Sauce
While the pasta and peas are cooking, begin making the sauce. Finely chop the red onion. Preheat a large pan or pot on medium heat. Add the vegan butter and once melted, add the red onion, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stir and cook the onions on medium-low heat, for 5 minutes. Then add the chopped Calabrian chili peppers, and stir.
Sprinkle in the flour, stir, then whisk in the plant-based milk. Cook the sauce for 7-8 minutes, being careful not to boil the sauce. During this time, you can finely chop the fresh parsley. Then sprinkle in the grated dairy-free parmesan cheese and mozzarella and whisk to incorporate.
Once the sauce has thickened, add in the cooked shellbows, Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes, cooked peas, and chopped parsley. Stir well, then slowly stir in the reserved pasta cooking water until the sauce has loosened up and it reaches your desired consistency.
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
Creamy Tomato Pasta with Broccoli
Avocado Parsley Pasta with Tomatoes
Linguine with Broccolini & Cherry Tomatoes
Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- 8 oz. DeLallo Shellbows
- 2 tbsp kosher salt for pasta water
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp DeLallo Chopped Calabrian chili peppers
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk
- ½ cup dairy-free parmesan
- 1 cup (packed) dairy-free mozzarella shreds
- ½ cup DeLallo Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- In a large pot, cook DeLallo Shellbows according to package directions for al dente, adding the 2 tbsp kosher salt into the water with shellbows. Prior to draining, reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water. Drain Shellbows.
- In a medium saucepan, cook peas in boiling water for 3 to 5 min, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat large pan on medium heat. Add vegan butter, red onion, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stir and cook on medium-low heat for 5 min. Add Calabrian chili peppers, stir.
- Sprinkle in flour, stir, then whisk in plant-based milk gradually. Cook for 7-8 minutes, being careful not to boil the sauce. Sprinkle in dairy-free parmesan cheese and mozzarella shreds, whisk to incorporate.
- Once sauce has thickened and mozzarella has melted, add cooked shellbows, sun-dried tomatoes, cooked peas, and parsley. Stir well, then slowly stir in reserved pasta cooking water until sauce has loosened up and it reaches your desired consistency. You may not need all the pasta cooking water.