This Creamy Roasted Tomato Gnocchi makes a perfect weeknight dinner that feels fancy and time consuming, but it’s made with ease. We use store bought gnocchi to create a simple meal that is full of flavor.
This cozy gnocchi dish uses some shortcuts and flavor boosters to get a comforting meal on the table quickly and easily. Plus, it is reminiscent of a restaurant gnocchi dish, that you can make from the cozy kitchen in your home. We use a combination of roasted tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and canned crushed tomatoes. The roasted tomatoes get so much flavor from the oven, as their juices release and the skins start to wilt. They become sweet and savory in all the right ways!
Sun-dried tomatoes are one of the key ingredients in my trusty arsenal of flavor boosters – also known as ingredients that add big flavor all on their own. Other flavor boosters that I love are marinated artichokes, capers, olives, and roasted red peppers. Not to mention fresh herbs and lemon or lime juice.
How This Roasted Tomato Gnocchi Comes Together
Put a pot of water on to boil (for the gnocchi) and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (to roast the tomatoes).
Slice the cherry or grape tomatoes in half and place them into a glass baking dish, then toss with the olive oil and seasonings. Place the dish into oven and roast for 20-25 minutes until the juices are releasing and the skins are starting to wilt.
When your water boils, add 2 tbsp kosher salt to the water along with the gnocchi and stir. Cook the gnocchi until it floats to the top, then scoop the gnocchi out with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
Finely chop the onion. Place a large pan over medium heat and add the remaining oil. Add onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cook until the onions are translucent and softened. Add in the cooked gnocchi and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes stirring periodically. A bit of browning on the gnocchi is good.
Then add in the crushed tomatoes and cook together so that the tomatoes develop some flavor. Add in the roasted tomatoes with their juices along with the sun-dried tomatoes and stir. Add in the heavy cream and stir well.
Serve topped with fresh parsley, vegan parmesan and optional red chili flakes.
Tips for Making This Dish
This recipe uses fresh parsley, but you can use 1 tsp dried parsley if you don’t have access to the fresh parsley. You can also substitute fresh basil for the parsley.
The creaminess in the sauce comes from vegan heavy cream. Silk brand makes a good option. But if you can’t find it, you can substitute full fat coconut milk or coconut cream.
Other Comfort Food Recipes
Roasted Tomato Gnocchi
- 500 g gnocchi
- 2 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 3 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder plus 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning for roasting tomatoes
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes the packed in oil type, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp vegan heavy cream Silk brand for example, or sub full fat coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp packed finely chopped parsley to taste
- Vegan parmesan for serving optional
- Red chili flakes for serving optional
- Preheat oven to 425. In a baking dish, place the sliced tomatoes, 2 tsp olive oil, and their seasonings. Toss to coat tomatoes in the oil. Roast for 20 to 25 min until juices are released. Remove from oven. Meanwhile, boil gnocchi according to package directions in salted water.
- Preheat large pan on medium heat. Add remaining 3 tbsp olive oil, onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning. Stir and cook for 6 to 7 min, lowering heat to medium low to prevent burning. Add boiled/drained gnocchi and cook 4 min, stirring periodically.
- Add crushed tomatoes, cook 5 min. Add roasted tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, heavy cream and stir. Cook together for 3 min. Top with chopped parsley and vegan parmesan if using. Red chili flakes to serve, for spicy heat.