This Chickpea Paprikash is a twist on the traditional Chicken Paprikash, a flavorful and heart-warming Hungarian dish. Made with hearty chickpeas and pasta, this recipe is bound to become a favorite for your family too!
There is so much to love about this Chickpea Paprikash. It is seasoned to perfection with paprika and fresh herbs. The rich and creamy sauce is super simple to make, yet it tastes like it has been cooking for hours. The leftovers taste even better, too!
This Chickpea Paprikash is also nostalgic for me, as the traditional dish is from my grandmother’s heritage and I’ve been dying to make a vegan version of this dish for a long time. The chickpeas are a great, satisfying substitute for chicken in the original version.
Tips for Making this Chickpea Paprikash
You can use your favorite pasta for this dish. I would suggest a short pasta to hold up with the chickpeas and creamy sauce.
Hungarian sweet paprika is the best for this dish. You can usually find this online. If not, you can use regular paprika.
Other Delicious Chickpea Recipes
- 1/2 lb. pasta
- 2 tbsp vegan butter divided
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp red chili flakes optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente in salted water (2 tbsp kosher salt), then drain. Transfer pasta to large mixing bowl, add 1 tbsp butter & fresh parsley.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, add onions, oil, remaining butter, salt & pepper to pan. Stir, cook on medium low heat for 5 min.
- Add tomato paste & garlic powder. Stir, cook 3 min.
- Stir in paprika & chickpeas. Then stir in the flour. Stir in vegetable broth followed by crushed tomatoes, sour cream & optional red chili flakes. Stir well to incorporate. Bring to gentle simmer, cook for 4-5 min, careful not to boil. Add pasta and serve.