This Chickpea Arugula Salad is the perfect lunch or light dinner option for the season! It’s super flavorful and filling too, and has delicious seasoned chickpeas, lightly roasted broccoli, and an amazing vegan honey mustard dressing.
This salad is so simple to put together, and the ingredients are super flavorful at the same time. The seasoned chickpeas are a perfect blend of savory, using pantry ingredients that you likely already have on hand. Paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper are all you need, along with a bit of oil to sauté them.
Then for another salty and savory bite, the olives (a mix of green olives and kalamata olives) provide another flavor boost. To top things off, the simplest homemade honey mustard dressing (vegan) is so delicious!
The dressing is made with just a handful of ingredients and tastes like creamy restaurant honey mustard dressing. All you need is Dijon mustard, vegan mayonnaise, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It may sound like an odd combination for salad dressing, but it’s totally delicious!
Tips for this Arugula Chickpea Salad
If you’re not a big fan of arugula (it’s a bit peppery, a bit bitter), then you can use your favorite greens. Some options are spring mix, romaine, or butter lettuce. Mixing in some chopped endive or radicchio would be amazing in here for some added crunch (these options are somewhat bitter like the arugula).
The chickpeas in this recipe are warmed on the stove. They’re not the “crispy” chickpea preparation, but if you’d like to serve it that way, here’s a great article on how-to from Love & Lemons.
Other Delicious Salad Recipes
You can check out the Instagram Reel at @janetsmunchmeals to see the video making this yummy salad. If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your creation! You can tag me on Instagram and leave a star rating here. Thanks for stopping by!
Arugula Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups broccoli florets cup small drizzled with 2 tsp avocado oil and seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 servings arugula or greens of choice
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup olives kalamata and/or green olives
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (convect) F. Spread broccoli florets on baking tray lined with parchment paper, and drizzle with oil and seasonings as indicated above. Place tray in oven and roast for 10 to 15 min until florets are just beginning to lightly brown in spots. Remove tray from oven to cool.
- Add arugula to bowls or a large serving bowl. Top with red cabbage, red onion, parsley, and olives.
- In a pan over medium heat, add chickpeas and avocado oil, stir, and then stir in seasonings. Cook 3 to 4 min, stirring periodically. Let cool while you make the dressing.
- In a small bowl, add all Dressing ingredients and stir them together well. Then add chickpeas and roasted broccoli to the bowl, and top with dressing as desired.