These cozy Shells with Broccoli & Roasted Tomatoes are a simple yet totally satisfying meal that the whole family will love. From nourishing and vibrant broccoli, to tangy and sweet roasted tomatoes, there’s lots of bold flavor in this dish.
This pasta seriously has it all…lots of texture from the fork-tender broccoli, paired with slightly crisp pine nuts, along with super savory flavors from tomato, roasted red peppers, and fresh herbs. Plus, shell pasta is just the best at scooping up all the fabulous ingredients and the light sauce. With each forkful, you’ll get a scrumptious mouthful of veggie pasta goodness.
The roasting process for the tomatoes takes only around 25 minutes, yet brings a ton of delicious flavor. I am just obsessed with roasted tomatoes with pasta. Something about the combination is just so dreamy.
These Shells with Broccoli & Roasted Tomatoes come together in under 40 minutes, making it perfect for a comfort food dinner or a special meal with family and friends. The festive holiday colors are quite fitting for December, too!
Tips & Substitutions
I use medium shells for this dish, since this size is perfect for holding the other ingredients. However, you can use the small size, or even substitute for your favorite pasta shape. There are so many great varieties of pastas out there, from regular, to whole wheat, to gluten free (made from lentil, chickpea, brown rice, even peas).
For the fresh herbs, we use both dill and parsley. The combination is amazing in here, but you can use other herbs instead. If you are not a fan of dill (this recipe may change your mind, just sayin’…) you can use extra parsley or fresh basil.
Toasting the pine nuts add some extra nutty flavor and a bit of a crisp. Toasting is optional, but delicious and simple to do. A Couple Cooks has a great article for toasting pine nuts in different methods, here.
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
If you make these Shells with Broccoli & Roasted Tomatoes, I would love to see your creation and hear what you think! You can tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and you can leave a comment here down below, in the blog post.
Shells with Broccoli & Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. shell pasta or pasta of choice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 tsp each kosher salt and pepper for roasting
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut small pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup packed thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes (marinated type, drained of oil)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- Juice of 1/4 to 1/2 lemon optional
- Extra olive oil to drizzle optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (convect/fan). Add tomatoes to a baking dish with 1/4 tsp each kosher salt and pepper, and 2 tsp olive oil. Toss, roast 20 to 25 min until skins are wilting and juices are releasing.
- Meanwhile, boil water for pasta and cook the pasta in salted water until al dente according to package directions, then drain.
- While those are cooking, add shallot to a large pan on medium heat, with the 2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and pepper. Stir, cook for 3 to 5 min until softened and starting to brown. Add minced garlic, cook another min.
- Add broccoli florets and vegetable broth, cover and cook for 2 to 3 min until fork tender then add sun-dried tomatoes, cooked pasta, the roasted tomatoes with their juices, and herbs. Gently stir, add in optional lemon juice to taste, and top with toasted pine nuts. Other great toppings are red chili flakes and vegan parmesan, optional.