This Orecchiette with Broccoli & Peas is filled with flavor, veggies, and fresh herbs. It’s also simple to make too! Topped with vegan parmesan and red chili flakes for the ultimate cozy pasta meal.
This cozy pasta is a great way to get in your veggies and some pasta goodness at the same time. With peas, broccoli, lemon, parsley and dill, there’s lots to love.
And the orecchiette pasta is such a fun shape, and it’s also the perfect vessel to hold all the deliciousness!
This is simple to make and comes together in under 30 minutes. You can add beans or proteins to this dish as well, if you’d like to saute or roast on the side. Or, chickpeas would be another great addition.
The pasta gets a bit of creaminess in the sauce from greek-style vegan yogurt. But if you can’t get a hold of this, a great substitute would be coconut cream (the solid part of canned full-fat coconut milk). We also use vegan parmesan to top off the pasta, but this is optional and it will still be delicious without it.
How This Orecchiette with Broccoli & Peas Comes Together
First you’ll cook the pasta in salted water until al dente. I like putting around a tablespoon of salt into the water along with the pasta and stir it around. When draining the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the water boils and the pasta cooks, this is the time to finely chop the onions and get them cooking. Use a large pan and add the oil and the onions to the pan with salt and pepper. While the onions cook, mince the garlic and add it in. Then, in goes the vegetable broth. Also cut the broccoli florets during this time. You can use either pre-cut broccoli florets, or use a large head of broccoli and cut the florets off. I like to cut the pieces quite small, in bite-sized pieces. Add these in as well as the frozen peas.
These vegetables will cook together, with a lid on the pan, for 2 to 3 minutes. You want the broccoli to turn bright green and get fork tender during this time. Then add in the remaining ingredients along with the cooked pasta, and stir everything together gently. If you want more liquid in the sauce, add in some of the reserved 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add in as much vegan parmesan and red chili flakes as you like!
If you try this dish, I’ll love to know what you think! You can tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and/or comment here!
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
Orecchiette with Broccoli & Peas
- 3/4 lb. orecchiette
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 1/4 cups packed broccoli florets cut small
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp greek-style vegan yogurt
- Juice of 1 1/2 to 2 lemons to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan optional
- Extra pepper for serving
- Red chili flakes for serving
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, in salted water. Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan on medium heat, add onions, oil, 1 tsp of kosher salt, and pepper. Stir, cook for 5 min. Add garlic, cook another min. Add garlic powder and vegetable broth, let gently simmer for 2 min.
- Add broccoli florets and peas, stir and cook covered for 2 to 3 min. Remove lid and cook more time if broccoli is not yet fork tender. Add pasta and remaining ingredients, stir and add the last 1/2 tsp kosher salt if desired. Add in some of the reserved pasta cooking water to thin the sauce if desired.
- Serve and top with red chili flakes and black pepper.