These Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes with Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect addition to your holiday festivities! They’re such a fun way to mix things up and enjoy those cozy, warm gingerbread flavors in a whole new way. The frosting is so scrumptious and is totally irresistible!
This blog post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market.
Gingerbread flavors are the ultimate cozy this time of year! From the inviting smells coming from the oven, to the fun of biting into a warm sweet treat, it doesn’t get much more festive.
These Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes are filled with the flavors of gingerbread cookies, in a soft and fluffy cupcake package. They make such a yummy match for the frosting, and are likely to not last very long around the house!
You can discover the goodness of the holidays at Sprouts and find all the goodies to make these cupcakes! They have all the baking staples and spices you need, so that you can make festive and homemade treats for the holidays, no matter your dietary preferences. I’m loving the variety of alternatives they have available to fit your lifestyle, including vegan, organic, gluten free, and paleo.
This recipe features Sprouts Organic Ground Cloves, Nutmeg and Cinnamon. They’re a power combo for these cupcakes!
How These Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes Come Together
These cupcakes can be made quickly and easily. Take out the vegan butter and cream cheese from the fridge to soften around 30 minutes prior to making the cupcakes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake liners.
To make the cupcakes, simply whisk together the wet ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and the dry ingredients in a larger mixing bowl. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir them together until just combined and smooth. Avoid overmixing the batter.
Then divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, with each one around 2/3 full. Next, place the cupcake tray into the center of the oven and bake them for 20 to 24 minutes, where an inserted toothpick into the center of the cupcake should come out clean. Remove the tray from the oven and let the cupcakes cool in the tray for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are baking, mix together all the frosting ingredients in a mixing bowl, with a hand mixer until fully combined.
When the cupcakes are cool, frost them to your liking. You can use a piping bag or just a butterknife. Top the cupcakes with sprinkles, or you can use crumbled gingerbread cookies or a mini candycane as topping.
Other Delicious Holiday Recipes
Creamy Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes
Maple Dijon Roasted Vegetables
If you make these Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes, I would love to see them! You can tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and comment here.
Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk oat, soy, almond
Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup vegan butter softened
- 1 ½ tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- Dash cinnamon
- ½ tbsp. unsweetened plant-based milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place cupcake liners into a cupcake tray.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 ½ tsp. baking powder, 1/8 tsp. ground cloves, ½ tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. ground nutmeg, ¾ tsp. ground ginger, ¼ tsp. kosher salt.
- In separate mixing bowl, whisk together ½ cup + 2 tbsp. light brown sugar, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup avocado oil, ¼ cup molasses, and 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Divide batter into cupcake tray, filling each cupcake around 2/3 full. Place tray into oven and bake 20 to 24 min, until an inserted toothpick (in center of cupcake) comes out clean. Remove tray from oven. Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 min in cupcake tray, then remove cupcakes and place on cooling rack until completely cool prior to frosting.
- While cupcakes are baking, mix the following ingredients together with a hand mixer: 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese, 1/3 cup vegan butter, 1 ½ tbsp. maple syrup, 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar, and dash cinnamon, until smooth. If you prefer a thinner frosting, stir in ½ tbsp. unsweetened plant-based milk.
Do you have any recommendations for vegan cream cheese brands? I’ve tried Daiya but it had a strong coconut oil taste that I didn’t like…. Maybe that doesn’t matter when it’s used for icing?
Sure! Maybe give Tofutti and GoVeggie brands a try 🙂