This Vegan Chili Soup is a warm and cozy bowl that’s perfectly nourishing and delicious! It’s hearty and ready in around 30 minutes, and it’s also great for game day and celebrating the Fall season.
Don’t you just love breaking out the chili recipes when Fall hits? It’s such a great way to get into the season, and you can’t beat it for a perfect game day dish that’s simple yet satisfying.
There’s so much versatility too with chili, where you can go wild with options for beans and even veggies. You can even add some different proteins too, like crumbled tofu, tempeh, or TVP (textured vegetable protein).
The only requirement in my book: lots of flavor.
Plus, the toppings possibilities are nearly endless! Here, I chose chopped fresh parsley and sliced jalapenos for some spicy heat. The chili itself has a small kick. Still, it’s closer to a “mild” than to a “medium” spice level. For those folks in the family that like it spicy, go ahead and add some hot sauce or serve red chili flakes on the side.
Then for those that are spice-avoiders at all costs, top it with some cooling plant based sour cream, unsweetened yogurt, or my favorite – avocado. Some chopped, fresh tomatoes would be another great idea to cool things down, or even some plant based cheddar or mozzarella.
how this vegan chili soup comes together
This soup recipe is so simple! You’re only around 30 minutes away from a hot bowl of deliciousness.
The simple steps are below!
- Saute the onions and carrots.
- Add in the spices, and remaining ingredients.
- Gently simmer for around 15 minutes.
And that’s it! Doesn’t get much simpler. While the soup is simmering, this is the time that you can go ahead and prep any toppings that suit your fancy.
Other delicious soups and stews
These are some of my other favorite soups and stews, that I hope you try! They’re all super simple yet really tasty.
helpful items for this dish
For the slicing and dicing, there’s a go-to that is always handy for my recipes:
While you don’t need a dutch oven for this dish, it’s great for soups and stews, especially those that you may want to cook in the oven as well for deeper flavors.
Vegan Chili Soup
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 to 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper optional
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- Garnishes: blue corn tortilla chips sliced jalapenos, chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, add onions, carrots, and oil. Saute for ten minutes on medium heat, stirring every few minutes and a few tablespoons of water along the way if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring to a simmer, and cook partially covered for 15 minutes.
- Serve and top with garnishes.