Vegan Pinto Bean Stew is a light, super satisfying, and cozy dish that is perfect for an easy and quick option — even for a weeknight. Full of vegetables and fresh flavors, it’s also a really nourishing meal that you can feel great about eating and sharing with your family!
What’s Great About Vegan Pinto Bean Stew
With winter in full swing here, it’s the perfect time to sit down with a comforting plate of rice and beans. This Vegan Pinto Bean Stew is extra nourishing with vegetables that add a colorful, hearty twist. What’s great is that pinto beans (and beans in general) are a delicious source of protein with a mild flavor that lends itself well to soaking up delicious flavors.
Besides being healthy and satisfying, this meal comes together SO easily. Like most of my dishes, this one is all about using simple ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry already.
Vegan Pinto Bean Stew makes a great meal prep as well. Since making the dish, I’ve enjoyed it several days this week and am ready to make another batch. It’s THAT good, and also THAT convenient to have in the fridge for those days when you come home as a ravenous beast..ahem…which NEVER happens to me.
Get Your Veggies On…
I chose to load up this pinto bean stew with lots of delicious vegetables, which makes it perfect for a main dish, but it also works as a side. Fresh bell peppers, onions and carrots come together to add tons of flavor to this pinto bean stew. Rice and beans may not typically include these ingredients, but man, do they add a satisfying heartiness.
Serving with scallions and avocado will add a beautiful bite, and creaminess, respectively.
You can definitely add more vegetables to the stew, like roasted cauliflower or roasted broccoli. I think both would work here, as well as roasted corn. As I’m writing this, I’m now getting hungry for Vegan Pinto Bean Stew version 2.0 that includes some pan-charred corn….excuse me while I do some daydreaming…
In a nutshell…
In a large pan or pot, add oil and vegetables, and cook until tender.
Add the pinto beans and remaining ingredients.
Sounds easy peasy, right? That’s it!
Check out one of my favorite pans, that come in handy for this dish:
Vegan Pinto Bean Stew
- large pan or pot
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/4 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 1/4 cup finely diced bell pepper used orange, red, yellow but any will do
- 1 1/4 cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.5 curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp water to thin if desired
- 1/4 cup Scallions
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro optional garnish for serving
- 1 avocado, sliced optional garnish for serving
- In a large pan or pot over medium heat, add onion, carrot, salt, pepper, and oil. Cook until onions are translucent, approx 8 to 10 min, stir often.
- Add bell pepper, cook 5 min.
- Add tomatoes, remaining spices, cook 5 min.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, cook covered for 5 to 10 min.
- Serve with garnish and rice if desired.