A delicious and super flavorful Vegan Black Bean Curry recipe that is bound to be a favorite go-to dish for your family! This dish is SO simple and fast that it will be on the table in around 20 minutes.
Made with pantry ingredients yet versatile enough to add vegetables of your choice, this Vegan Black Bean Curry provides a great hearty meal option. It’s also mild in spice level, allowing you to dial up the heat for the spice lovers in your family, while also keeping your mild palettes happy.
Vegan Black Bean Curry … it’s what’s for dinner
This curry will definitely be on repeat in our house, as it was a big hit with my family and was ridiculously simple. Such a win!
The dry spices are the same as those in my Vegan Butternut Squash Curry, and shows how versatile this spice mix is! All you need to do is cook your onions, add the tomato and spice mix, then coconut milk. This forms the base for the curry. (I’ve even substituted onion powder with no onion before!)
It’s as simple as that, and is ready super fast since the steps I mention above take about 15 minutes!
Next, just add in whatever vegetable, bean and/or protein you like.
Some delicious suggestions are:
- beans (such as kidney, cannellini, great northern, black-eyed peas, chickpeas)
- sauteed or baked tofu or tempeh
- greens (such as spinach, collard greens, kale)
- broccoli or cauliflower florets
- bell peppers
- green beans
helpful items for dishes like this one
It’s key to have a stable, non-slip surface when you’re chopping:
We love to serve curries, stews, pastas and such in these types of bowls. They’re a great size and shape for these types of dishes, as well as nourish bowls and salads. We have found that they’re light and durable too, which are always a major plus!
This spice box is so handy, and looks pretty darn nice too. We use this for the Indian-inspired dishes that I make quite frequently.
My other curry recipes
Vegan Black Bean Curry
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2.5 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup marinara or tomato sauce
- 3/4 tsp to 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper optional
- 1 and 3/4 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sliced green onions preference
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley preference
- In a large pan, add the 2 tsp oil and onion. Cook 5 to 7 minutes until translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add all the spices, stir, cook another 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomato sauce, black beans and coconut milk, stir, and cook at a gentle simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Top with green onions and parsley.
- Serve with rice, if desired.