This deliciously easy Vegan Asian-inspired Barbeque Tofu Bowl a super flavorful dish that’s packed with tofu, veggies, and noodles. These satisfying ingredients come together in this nourish bowl that’s a fantastic option for a healthy lunch or meal prep for the week!
Preparing the Tofu
If you’ve never had tofu before, it can seem a bit intimidating. But, it’s surprisingly easy to transform the stuff into a magical, protein-packed star of your meals. Follow these simple steps to get tofu cooking like a pro:
- Drain the tofu, if packaged in liquid.
- Place the tofu on a plate that’s lined with a kitchen towel, and wrap the towel around it.
- Place a pan on top of the tofu, then a can or beans (or similar weighted can) into the pan. the weight of the pan and can will press liquid out of the tofu for you.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes for further liquid to drain away onto the plate/towel.
- Now you’re ready to slice!
Cooking the Tofu – the Easy Way!
Once the tofu is pressed, it’s a piece of cake to cook it in a flavorful, oh-so-crispy way. Taking a step back, I just want to say that there are a MILLION ways to enjoy tofu, and some of those are in the soft, scrumptious manner. For this recipe, the crisp way is the way to go.
Just slice the tofu fairly thin, around 1/2 cm, in small rectangles as shown for this recipe. Then sprinkle some oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add tofu in a single layer across the pan, and season the pieces liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Let them cook until the tofu starts to brown underneath. This takes 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your slices. Then gently flip the tofu over, and cook on the second side for 3 minutes.
Easy Asian-Inspired Barbeque Sauce
For the sauce, I used a simple mix of some pantry staples that I love to keep on hand. One of the newest additions to by staple arsenal is gochujang sauce. Gochujang is a delicious, spicy Korean chili paste that is the basis for this barbeque sauce and provides a lovely flavor that goes so well with the crispy tofu and vegetables in this bowl.
Here’s a delicious gochujang sauce:
Vegan Asian-Inspired Barbeque Tofu Bowl
- 2/3 package tofu drained and pressed well to remove water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.5 cups steamed broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup cooked noodles
- 2 tbsp gochujang sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp water
- 1.5 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Cut tofu into thin pieces. Add oil to a large pan and place tofu so the pieces are not overlapping. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Cook tofu until lightly browned (depends on thickness) then flip, cook another 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- When tofu is cooked, add sauce, toss to coat.
- Serve with vegetables and noodles.