This soba noodle dish is simple, nutrition packed, and satisfying…just the right combination to handle that pasta fix, while getting in your veggies and protein!
To be honest, I have a slight obsession with soba noodles. When I say “slight”, I really mean major. Same with the family as well! Which totally makes things easier when you’re trying to plan meals ahead of time (this one is great for meal prep!), or when you need to throw something together in a pinch. If only my family members all loved the same foods, ALL the time (wishful thinking!).
Soba Noodles with Green Beans, Mushrooms and Tofu
INGREDIENTS: (makes 3-4 servings)
- 1/2 package soba noodles
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 package extra firm organic tofu, pressed gently between towels (to remove excess water) and cubed (2cm cubes)
- 2 cups green beans, steamed until tender and cut into thirds
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 5 t sesame oil, divided
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 t ginger paste or grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup edamame
- 1 T sesame seeds
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions, drain, and toss with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Set aside.
- Gently toss tofu cubes with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch. In a large pan, lightly brown the tofu cubes over medium heat in 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil. Set aside.
- Cook red onions and mushrooms in 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium heat until onions are turning translucent and slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add a small amount of water during cooking process if pan becomes too dry, to avoid burning. Add in minced garlic and cooked green beans, and cook an additional 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the sauce: in a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of water and whisk until cornstarch dissolves. Add the soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the sauce to a large pan and over medium heat, add the vegetable mixture, cooked soba noodles, edamame and the tofu to the pan and gently toss to combine.
- Once mixed, move to a serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Squeeze lime juice over top.