A bright, refreshing and nourishing Citrus and Avocado Watercress Salad that highlights the delicious seasonal citrus that abounds this time of year. Full of satiating, healthy fats and amazing textures, this salad is a fantastic option for any day.
It’s not everyday that you’ll see me sharing a salad recipe (hello stir fries, curries and pastas). But today, things are different. I’ve been blessed to be in the presence of that amazing seasonal citrus area at the grocery store, and these beautiful blood oranges and cara cara oranges were calling my name. Hence, the start of this flavorful, refreshing and downright delicious Citrus and Avocado Watercress Salad.
Let’s Talk Greens
I chose watercress for this salad, given it’s delicate texture and mildly peppery flavor. It’s the perfect light and airy base for the citrus and avocado, rather than a thick and crunchy lettuce like romaine. But let’s be honest, that would be pretty satisfying too. What I love about watercress is that the subtle peppery flavor is much milder than arugula. Arugula definitely has a place close to my heart for sure (it’s one of my favorites). But in this salad, a milder flavor seemed more fitting.
The dressing for this Citrus and Avocado Watercress Salad is a bright and refreshing Blood Orange Vinaigrette with lots of tang and a bit of bite from the onions. The beautiful color of blood oranges and the delicious flavor make this dressing special. Also, fresh lemon juice adds a lovely tang.
This recipe makes extra dressing to use as you wish. You can save it for the next day, to put the salad ingredients together fresh on the day. This is something I do often, where I make a larger batch of dressing to store in the fridge for a few days. Having homemade dressing on hand makes it much easier to have the motivation to make a salad at home, rather than go out and buy one or grab a less healthy option.
Handy Tools for this Recipe
Citrus and Avocado Watercress Salad
- 4 cups watercress somewhat packed
- 1 cara cara orange peeled and sliced
- 1 blood orange peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup cucumber sliced
- 1/3 cup cole slaw mix shredded cabbage, red cabbage, carrots
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- zest and juice of 1 medium blood orange
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large serving bowl, place watercress, orange slices, edamame, cucumbers, and cole slaw mix.
- Separately in a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour about half over the salad and gently toss to combine. Reserve the rest of the dressing and use as desired.