This vibrant, comforting Kale and Sweet Potato Salad will have you feeling all the cozy lunch vibes. It’s a healthy and simple lunch (or even dinner) option that’s loaded with nourishing goods; yet it’s so simple to prepare with minimal ingredients. All smothered in a creamy, restaurant-style balsamic vinaigrette that’s homemade and healthier than the store bought. A win-win!
What I like most about this salad
My Kale and Sweet Potato Salad has lots of hearty, satiating ingredients perfect for the chilly weather, but this would be a great meal option for any time. Plus, it doesn’t get much better than caramelized, deliciously seasoned and roasted-to-perfection sweet potatoes. That’s just the truth.
Combined with the slightly crisp red cabbage and kale, and toasted pine nuts…this is TOTALLY the salad that will have you craving leftovers. I love this salad as a great work or school lunch as well. Kale tends to hold up well for several days in the fridge, so you can go ahead and pack a few of these tasty salads, with the dressing in a separate container, and you’re good to go with a really hearty lunch option that won’t leave you starving in an hour. We all know those salads from the convenience store that have a few pieces of tomatoes and cucumbers, maybe a bit of carrot and that’s pretty much it. No thanks!
This Kale and Sweet Potato Salad is:
- filled with RAINBOW colors (and nutrients to match)
- simple to prepare, great for MEAL PREP
- only a FEW ingredients
- super satisfying and COZY
- packed with TANGY CREAMINESS from the dressing and sweet potato
- all about that CRUNCH from pine nuts and cabbage
How it comes together
Peel and chop your sweet potatoes, and roast them on a sheet pan.
Meanwhile, in a large pan, lightly saute the red cabbage and de-stemmed kale.
Blend up the dressing.
Toast the pine nuts.
Items that come in handy for this dish
This Kale and Sweet Potato Salad is also great for company since it’s simple to make and is a colorful stunner.
We love these beautiful bowls for serving salads or pasta for company. They’re simple, the perfect size, and look pretty sharp filled with your delicious meals!
These trays are great quality, and such a perfect size. I got the recommendation from the website of a fellow foodie friend (try saying THAT five times fast), Kate from Herbivore’s Kitchen.
Warm Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 bunch kale de-stemmed, roughly chopped, massaged a bit with lemon juice or touch of oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 2 cm cubes + salt and pepper for seasoning + 1 tbsp oil for roasting
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted .
- Dressing blend the following until creamy and smooth:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- On a baking tray, place sweet potato cubes and drizzle with the olive oil and seasoning. Bake at 375 degrees F for approx 15 to 20 min (may be longer depending on size of cubes) flipping halfway, until tender and lightly browned. Let cool somewhat.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan add the tsp of oil, kale, red cabbage, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 3 min, stirring often. Place lid on and cook another 1 to 2 min until kale is slightly wilted, if hasn’t wilted during first few min. Remove to serving bowl, add cooked sweet potatoes, top with pine nuts.
- Remove to serving bowl, add cooked sweet potatoes, top with pine nuts.