This Capellini with Tomatoes & Parmesan is a delicious celebration of simple yet bold flavors! It is surprisingly easy to make, yet is so comforting and fresh.
The flavors of the ingredients shine here, with fresh tomatoes, lemon, basil, garlic, parmesan and olives. The fresh tomatoes cook in olive oil and garlic. They form the base of the sauce and get so sweet and flavorful. The additional flavor enhancers like lemon and basil are an easy way to amp up the depth of this pasta.
Long pasta like capellini has always been a favorite of mine since childhood. My mom used to make my sisters and I big plates of spaghetti and it has remained my favorite meal ever since. So therefore any and all permutations of pasta have a special place in my heart (and tummy!).
This Capellini with Tomatoes & Parmesan doesn’t disappoint. If you have extra tomatoes lying around from your summer harvest, this is the perfect way to use them!
How this Capellini with Tomatoes & Parmesan Comes Together
Start by halving your tomatoes. Then bring pot of water to boil for the capellini.
While waiting for the water to boil, heat a large pan on medium heat. Add the oil and once hot, add the tomatoes and seasoning. Cook the tomatoes for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add in the garlic and cook another minute.
When the water boils, add in the dry pasta and stir in around two tablespoons salt. Cook until barely al dente, then drain the pasta but reserve around one cup of pasta cooking water.
Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the tomatoes, along with the lemon juice, pasta water and stir. Sprinkle in the parmesan. Stir well and remove from heat. Add in the olives and top with basil.
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
Capellini with Tomatoes & Parmesan
- 1/2 lb. capellini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6-8 large cloves garlic minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup grated vegan parmesan
- 1/2 cup mixed greek olives roughly chopped
- 5 to 6 large basil leaves thinly sliced
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until barely al dente and drain but reserve one cup of pasta cooking water.
- Slice the tomatoes in half. Heat a large pan on medium heat then add the oil. Once hot, add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir, cook 5 min then add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add drained pasta, lemon juice, pasta water and sprinkle in the parmesan. Stir well and remove from heat. Stir in olives and serve topped with basil.