This Orzo Arugula Salad with Chickpeas & Feta is so full of flavor, with seasoned chickpeas, and a hearty and satisfying orzo pasta with red wine vinaigrette. It’s perfectly delicious, colorful and nourishing!
Tips For Making This Orzo Arugula Salad
When preparing the orzo, be sure to add salt to the pasta cooking water. I like to add around 2 tbsp kosher salt into the water right after you add the dry orzo. In doing so, you can season the orzo itself! This will add more flavor to the finished recipe.
Some parts of this salad can be made a day ahead, or even if you’d like to enjoy it for several days as lunches or dinners. Just store the arugula separately and add it to the salad when you’ll be eating it, otherwise it will wilt. Alternatively, you can use kale and this will hold up well in the salad for a few days. Prepare the kale as I mention below. For best flavor, it’s also best to avoid putting the cut tomatoes into the fridge since the flavor isn’t quite as ideal. But truth be told, I don’t mind doing it at all, for myself.
If you’re not a fan of arugula, you can use kale or baby spinach. If using kale, cut out the stem of the kale. Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces and add them to a bowl. Add a bit of oil and massage the leaves with your fingertips, which makes the kale a bit more tender. If using baby spinach, I suggest slicing the leaves to make the spinach easier to eat in the salad.
How This Recipe Comes Together
Start by making the orzo. Be sure to add in some salt to the pasta cooking water, along with the dry orzo. Cook the orzo to al dente according to the package directions. Then drain the orzo and rinse it under cool water. Drain it well.
To make the seasoned chickpeas, add the oil and the chickpeas, along with the seasoning, into a pan and cook it over medium heat for 3-4 min, stirring often. Then transfer the chickpeas to a bowl and let them cool somewhat.
Make the dressing by adding all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisking it well.
Now assemble the salad. Add arugula to a serving bowl and top it with the cooked orzo, chickpeas, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and feta. Gently toss and then toss in the dressing.
Other Delicious Orzo Recipes
Orzo Arugula Salad with Chickpeas & Feta
- 1/2 lb. dry orzo
- 5 oz. arugula or greens of choice
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 3/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/2 packed cup finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
- 3/4 to 1 cup crumbled vegan feta to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp avocado oil for cooking chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp each paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder for cooking chickpeas
Red wine vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions for al dente, adding 2 tbsp kosher salt to the pasta cooking water as it’s cooking, then drain. Rinse orzo in cool/cold water and drain well.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing by adding all Red wine vinaigrette ingredients to a bowl and whisking well. Then cook chickpeas in a skillet on medium heat for 3-4 min, adding in the avocado oil and chickpea seasonings. Transfer chickpeas to a bowl and let cool somewhat.
- In a large serving or mixing bowl, add arugula. Top with orzo, cooked chickpeas, tomatoes, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, red onion feta, parsley and chickpeas. Add dressing right before serving, toss well.