This Roasted Tomato & Artichoke Macaroni is so flavorful and filled with amazing ingredients, plus it’s simple to make! With roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, plant-based sausage, and fresh parsley, there’s lots to love in this dish.
I struggled with what to call this dish, since there’s so many flavorful ingredients. And they all play an equally delicious role in the recipe. So how can I play favorites? I settled on Roasted Tomato & Artichoke Macaroni, but there are multiple ingredients in here that provide comforting, savory flavors. They combine deliciously to create a macaroni that’s irresistible and also simple to make.
How This Roasted Tomato & Artichoke Macaroni Comes Together
Roasting the Tomatoes
Start by roasting the tomatoes. Set the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tomatoes in half and add them to a baking dish. I use an 8×8″ glass dish. Then drizzle in the oil and seasoning. Give the tomatoes a toss and bake for 20 to 30 min until the juices are released and the skins are starting to wilt. Then, remove from the oven.
Cooking the Pasta
Meanwhile, cook the pasta. I love using the macaroni for this dish, but you can use your pasta shape of choice. Make sure to salt the cooking water to get flavor into the pasta itself. I usually use 2 to 3 teaspoons of kosher salt, which you add into the boiling water along with the pasta. Check the box to see how long you would cook it to be al dente, then drain the pasta when it’s one minute shy of that. Reserve around 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water before you drain it.
Making the Sauce
While the pasta and tomatoes are cooking, finely chop the onion. Add the onion, oil, and crumbled sausage to a large pan on medium heat. Cook these until the sausage pieces are getting nicely browned and the onions are translucent, lowering the heat to medium-low if needed to prevent burning. I love the Beyond Meat, Impossible, and Field Roast vegan sausages. Just use your favorite.
Then add in the cooked pasta, roasted tomatoes (and their juices), and all the remaining ingredients into the pan – except the fresh parsley. Stir and let the pasta cook for a couple minutes, add in some of the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce, if you like. Garnish with fresh parsley and red chili flakes. Vegan parm would be delicious in here too!
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
Roasted Tomato & Artichoke Macaroni
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and pepper for roasting
- 1 tbsp avocado oil for roasting
- 1/2 lb. macaroni or pasta of choice
- 2 plant-based sausages
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed marinated artichokes drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil drained and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1/4 cup dairy free heavy cream
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- Juice of 1/4 to 1/2 lemon to taste
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley to taste
- Red chili flakes for serving
- Roast tomatoes in a baking dish, with their oil and seasoning, at 400 degrees F for 20 to 30 min, until juices are released and skins starting to wilt. Meanwhile, cook macaroni in salted water until barely al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
- While those cook, sauté onions with olive oil on medium to medium low heat for 6 to 8 min, stir occasionally. Add all remaining ingredients except parsley, including drained pasta and roasted tomatoes and their juices. Stir well and add in a few tablespoons pasta cooking water if too dry. Cook another couple min on low heat, stirring halfway. Add parsley, serve with red chili flakes if desired.