With baking season upon us, these Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins are the perfect treat for cozy weather. With creamy glaze and cinnamon sugar marshmallows, you may find it difficult to have just one!
One of the best parts of the Fall season is baking sweet treats with amazing seasonal goods. These muffins include creamy sweet potato and are a great way to get sneak some Fall produce into your dessert. The texture is deliciously decadent yet fluffy, and just the perfect level of sweet.
These Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins are topped with a dreamy coconut and cinnamon glaze, and vegan marshmallows covered in cinnamon sugar. What’s more fitting for the season than cinnamon? Which goes so perfectly with the maple and vanilla flavors in these yummy muffins!
Plus, what’s more is that you can pick up all of your Fall plant-based baking essentials from Sprouts Farmers Market in one go. From the sweet potatoes, to Dandies Vegan Marshmallow Minis, there is such amazing variety to choose from for baking up fun plant-based desserts. I found great inspiration at Sprouts to use my Fall produce for these Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins, and I’m so excited to share this recipe with you!
The muffins taste amazing on their own, but are even better with the glaze and cinnamon sugar marshmallows. The muffins are so easy to whip together, making them a simple treat to make even when you’re short on time or energy!
You can make the glaze as thick or as thin as you like. It’s best to serve them immediately once placing the glaze onto the muffins. Otherwise, the glaze may soak into the muffins (which tastes pretty darn good too!). Alternatively, you can make the muffins ahead of time, then prepare the glaze and marshmallows closer to serving.
How these Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins Come Together
Start by cooking the sweet potato, either by baking in the oven, or in the microwave.
Mash the sweet potato well with a fork, then add your other wet ingredients into the bowl. Separately, add the dry ingredients to another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined – avoid over mixing.
Then, divide into the lined (or greased and floured) muffin tin.
While baking, mix together the glaze, and prepare the cinnamon sugar marshmallows!
The end result is a dreamy, moist yet fluffy muffin that will be hard to resist! These were a hit with my whole family, both kids and adults.
Seriously, you may have trouble eating just one…or two…no judgment here!
Other Sweet Treats
Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1/2 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed well*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk or sub unsweetened almond milk
Cinnamon Sugar Marshmallows
- 1 cup vegan marshmallow minis
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter melted
- 3 Tbsp. pure cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners, or lightly grease and flour the muffin tin instead.
- Mash the 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato very well with a fork, and add it to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients (1/4 cup maple syrup, 3 Tbsp. avocado oil, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 2/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk). Whisk well to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, pinch ground nutmeg). Mix together the dry ingredients with a fork.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the large mixing bowl with the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined, avoiding over-mixing. Depending on the moisture of your sweet potato, you may need to add a bit more unsweetened almond milk. The consistency should be a thick batter.
- Spoon into muffin tin and bake for approx 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the glaze ingredients until smooth (1/2 cup powdered sugar, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 2 Tbsp. coconut milk (or sub unsweetened almond milk).
- Set up two bowls. One with the 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted, and the other with a mixture of the 3 Tbsp. pure cane sugar and 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar.
- Working in small batches, add the 1 cup vegan marshmallow minis to the butter and quickly toss with a fork, then remove the marshmallows from the butter quickly and toss in the sugar mixture.
- Once muffins are done, let them cool completely by leaving them in the muffin tin for 15 minutes at least, then transfer to a wire rack for another 15 minutes at least.
- Drizzle with glaze and top with marshmallows.