This Sun-Dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta Pesto Pizza is bursting with flavor and is bound to become a house favorite. It has creamy vegan ricotta made from tofu, making it super satisfying. And the basil-dill pistachio pesto is a savory pesto dream!
There’s lots to love about this pizza! These are some of the highlights:
- simple to make
- curbs any takeout cravings….it’s just SO good!
- super nutritious tofu ricotta
- amazingly yummy pesto
- eating the rainbow
- pleases vegans and omnivores alike
Plus, this pizza has two of my favorite things, tofu ricotta and pesto. And the combination of these two is just magic!
Sun-dried tomato may sound like an odd ingredient to blend with extra-firm tofu, but I think you’ll be very pleasantly surprised when you taste the “ricotta”. It’s flavorful, tangy, and reminds me of a jazzed up dairy ricotta.
And this basil-dill pistachio pesto is certainly not traditional, but it’s so so delicious. It gives the pizza an herby, super savory flavor and makes such a yummy match with the ricotta. This pesto is one of my go-to pesto variations, and I just love it.
You can also use this ricotta and pesto in a lot of different ways! Use them in pastas, as a topping for crackers, or as a spread for toast. They’re so versatile and totally addictive!
How This Sun-Dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta Pesto Pizza Comes Together
Preparing the naan or flatbread
Check to purchase naan or flatbread that is vegan. If you have trouble finding it in stores, it may likely be available online. Set your oven to 425 degrees (convect/fan). Then place your breads on a large baking tray next to each other. Without waiting for the oven to preheat, go ahead and place the tray into the center of the oven. This will allow the breads to start crisping slowly, for 6 to 8 minutes, on the bottom. In the meantime, you will prepare the ricotta and pesto. If you only have time to prepare the ricotta during the 6 to 8 minutes, no worries. Just remove the tray from the oven.
Making the Tofu Ricotta and Pesto
This step is super simple. Add all the ingredients for the tofu ricotta into a food processor, and blend it until virtually smooth. I say “virtually”, because it’s fine if you’d like to leave some chunks of sun-dried tomatoes for texture. Then transfer the ricotta to a bowl, scraping the bowl of the food processor with a spatula to remove as much as you can. Rinse the bowl of the food processor under running water, dry it, and then fill it with the pesto ingredients. Blend the pesto until smooth.
Putting it all Together
Spread around 3/4 of a cup of ricotta on each bread, leaving some room on the edges of the bread as a “crust”. Thinly slice the tomato. Then, arrange the slices on the breads, leaving extra juice behind on the cutting board to avoid the pizza getting soggy. Thinly slice the red onion and arrange it on the breads. Use as much or as little onion as you like. Set the broiler to High and place the tray back in for 1 to 2 minutes, until the edges are starting to get golden brown. The browning may occur in certain parts of the breads, based on your broiler setup. You can remove the tray and carefully (it’s hot!) rotate the breads for even browning as needed.
When ready, remove the breads and dollop each bread with around 1/3 cup pesto as desired. Finally, top the breads with fresh basil and optional drizzle of olive oil.
Other Delicious Pizza & Comfort Food Recipes
If you try this Sun-Dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta Pesto Pizza, I would love to see it! You can tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and comment here!
Sun-Dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta Pesto Pizza
- 2 naan or flatbreads
- 1 large tomato
- 1/8 of a red onion thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves for serving
- Drizzle olive oil for serving optional
Sun-dried Tomato Tofu Ricotta
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes in oil (drained but fine to include some oil)
- 1 tsp each kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- Juice of 1/ lemon
Basil-Dill Pistachio Pesto
- 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh dill
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh basil
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp packed shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup roasted salted pistachios
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Set the oven to 450 degrees F (convect/fan). Without waiting for preheating, place the breads on a baking tray and place into the oven for 6 to 8 min until the bottom of the breads are starting to crisp. The tops will still likely be quite soft. Then remove tray from oven.
- Meanwhile, blend ricotta in food processor. Transfer ricotta to bowl, give the food processor a rinse, and blend pesto.
- Spread approx 3/4 cup ricotta across each bread, leaving room for crust. Slice the tomato and arrange slices over the breads, and as much sliced onion as you prefer. Set broiler to High and place the tray back in. Broil for 1 to 2 min until crust is starting to get golden brown in spots, remove tray, then rotate breads on the tray. Broil again for another 1 to 2 min to get even browning.
- Remove tray from oven and dollop each naan with approx. 1/3 cup pesto, or to taste. Top with more fresh basil and optional olive oil.