This Pasta with Vegan Ragu is a comforting and hearty dish that’s perfect for a cozy pasta fix. It’s the ultimate flavorful pasta that is sure to become an easy family favorite.
This Pasta with Vegan Ragu is a dish that will please the whole family. It’s packed with hearty vegetables and incredibly flavorful sun-dried tomatoes. What’s more, the delicious, thick sauce is made with Impossible Burger. It makes the perfect substitute for meat in a traditional ragu or bolognese sauce.
We were so excited to hear that Impossible Foods would be available at Sprouts! Impossible Foods are made from plant-based ingredients. Plus, each serving has 19 grams of plant-based protein. The Impossible Burger packets are just so versatile and will please any of the meat eaters in your life.
You can go ahead and substitute Impossible Burger for the types of foods that would more typically be prepared with ground beef. The possibilities are endless when it comes to add-ins and seasoning combinations. In this Pasta with Vegan Ragu, I went with a classic comfort food vibe, but with a bit of a twist by adding sun-dried tomatoes and extra fresh herbs.
You can serve this with your favorite pasta, and here I used Sprouts’ Durum Wheat Fusilli – which has perfect texture and was so amazing to hold the delicious Impossible Burger ragu sauce. I also picked up a Sprouts Ciabatta bread loaf to toast and serve alongside the pasta. It was a match made in pasta heaven.
It’s also simple to put together too!
how this Pasta with Vegan Ragu comes together
Start by boiling water for pasta, and while that is going, chop and saute the onions and carrots. Add in the Impossible Burger, and brown it up together with the vegetables. Fragrant and flavor garlic and sun-dried tomatoes go in next, then plenty of dried herbs and crushed tomatoes.
The mixture is a saucy blend that is chunky and packed with goodness. The longer you let the sauce gently simmer, the more flavorful it will become. Here, I simmered for around 15 minutes, which is great for getting dinner on the table quickly but not missing out on any richness.
You can also feel free to add other vegetables, and even lentils or beans along with the onions, carrots and Impossible Burger. The recipe can be made to accommodate your family’s preferences and what you have on hand. This makes it such a great staple recipe to have in your rotation, and one that your family will likely be asking for on repeat!
Some other delicious pasta recipes
Pasta with Vegan Ragu
- ½ lb. pasta
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots finely chopped (approx. 1 ¼ cups)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 packet Impossible Burger
- 2/3 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups pasta cooking water
- 1 ¾ cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Fresh basil and oregano for serving optional
- Cook the 1/2 lb. pasta until just al dente in salted water, reserving 3/4 of the pasta cooking water prior to draining.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the 1 small onion finely chopped, the 1 ¼ cup finely chopped carrots, and the 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. You may need to add a few Tbsp. water during cooking, to prevent sticking.
- Add the 1 packet Impossible Burger, breaking up the chunks while stirring into the onion and carrot mixture. Cook until the Impossible Burger is lightly browned, about 7 or 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the 2/3 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes and 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced. Cook another minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the optional fresh basil and oregano (1 Tbsp. dried parsley, 1 Tbsp. dried oregano, 1 Tbsp. tomato paste, ½ cup of the pasta cooking water, 1 ¾ cup canned crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and ½ tsp. black pepper).
- Cook at a low simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. If getting too dry, add the remaining ¼ cup pasta cooking water.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan, stir gently, and taste for seasoning. Add a bit more seasoning and/or olive oil if desired.
- Serve with thinly sliced fresh basil and oregano (optional).