This perfectly cozy Vegan Lentil and Potato Curry with Spinach should make it onto your table any night of the week. It’s so simple and delicious that it’s sure to be a new favorite comfort food.
So, my friends, I have to apologize in advance for the lack of photos for this recipe. I was cooking in warp speed due to some chaos at home, and totally forgot to snap pics along the way! But, I will totally make this again (and again) and will update the blog post with all the process photos.
Still, this is one of the simplest curries you can make, so you may not even need them! And, it’s so delicious that you will likely convert any lentil haters in the house too. My kiddo became a convert, and I am definitely not mad about it.
the nourishing goods in this recipe
This Vegan Lentil and Potato Curry with Spinach is packed with nutrient-filled and fiber-filled ingredients. The main ingredient is cooked lentils, which you cook in a saucepan with water according to the package ingredients. At the same time the lentils are cooking, you begin cooking finely chopped onions as the base of the sauce. The onions add so much flavor here, along with the seasonings that go in next.
Diced potatoes, baby spinach and cherry tomatoes are then added. Once everything is combined, you’ll end up with a really rich and satisfying meal that is so full of healthy vegetables and lentils.
The sauce ingredients
These simple ingredients are ones that I always, if possible, try to have in the spice box and pantry. We use them often and they combine so well for a flavorful curry sauce. The sauce is mild in spice level, so you can simply add red chili flakes to make the dish to your liking.
The sauce is made with:
- curry powder
- ground coriander
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
And these spices are added to the onions, followed by tomatoes sauce or marinara and canned coconut milk.
Once everything cooks together for around 10 minutes, it’s done!
helpful items for this dish
Vegan Lentil and Potato Curry with Spinach
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2.5 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 cup marinara or tomato sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- red chili flakes optional
- Peel and dice the potato and finely chop the onion. In a medium saucepan, add the lentils with 2 cups of water. Cover, bring to a boil then turn down the heat to simmer still covered.
- Cook the lentils are just barely al dente and drain away any remaining liquid.
- While lentils are cooking, add the chopped onion and oil to a large pan. Cook around 5 minutes until translucent, stirring periodically.
- Add the potatoes and cook another 5 minutes covered, adding a bit of water if the pan is getting to dry.
- Add all the spices, stir and cook another minute.
- Add the cooked lentils to the pan and the remaining ingredients, except the baby spinach. Stir, cook at a gentle simmer for around 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add in the spinach, stir, cook another minute or two until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve with red chili flakes if desired.