This is the perfect pasta to cozy up with during the cooler months, and is full of hearty vegetables and vegan sausage. This Ratatouille Pasta with Vegan Sausage has zucchini, eggplant, and a really flavorful tomato sauce. It’s a must-try for one heck of a satisfying pasta!
This pasta was inspired by ratatouille, a classic dish with tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini (and bell pepper which I skipped here) and it’s one of my favorite combinations for pasta. There’s something about a veggie-filled pasta sauce that really hits the spot. Then, adding in vegan sausage seals the deal.
This is a dish that comes together really easily and is a quick meal for even a weeknight. While the pasta cooks, you saute your veggies and make the sauce. It times out really well and is one of those dishes that the whole family can enjoy.
If vegan sausage isn’t your thing, you can skip or substitute mushrooms, lentils, chickpeas, vegan grounds, crumbled tofu, or just enjoy as is. And if you haven’t tried eggplant in your pasta, I encourage you to give it a try! When it cooks down with onions, it is just such a delicious, savory flavor addition to a pasta sauce. Ever since I tried it years ago, I am hooked! The eggplant gives great heartiness and texture to this Ratatouille Pasta with Vegan Sausage.
My Vegan Chickpea Ratatouille Stew is reminiscent of this new recipe, and is another great option for a really comforting yet nourishing meal.
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
Helpful for this Dish
Ratatouille Pasta with Vegan Sausage
- 1/2 lb. pasta used farfalle here
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant cubed (approx 1.5 cm cubes)
- 4 vegan sausages diced (approx 1.5 cm)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 large zucchini diced (approx 1 cm)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 tbsp capers to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the pasta in salted water until barely al dente, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan add the olive oil, chopped onion and eggplant and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes partially covered, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the diced sausages and all the seasonings, stir, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring periodically, until sausages are getting browned.
- Add the diced zucchini, and make room for them in the pan to cook for 5 minutes (or until just barely fork tender – do not overcook). If your pan is on the smaller side, you may need to transfer some of the sausage mixture to a plate while the zucchini cooks.
- Add the garlic, cook another minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, stir, cook 3 minutes. Add the cooked pasta, stir, cook together for a few minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Taste and season with salt or pepper if desired, or a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve and top with capers and the fresh parsley.