This Roasted Tomato Pasta with Mushrooms is so flavorful and delicious, with each ingredient bursting with flavor. It’s a recipe that’s sure to be a house favorite and perfect for entertaining.
Roasted tomatoes are just one of the stars in this super flavorful dish. There’s also fresh herbs and a light sauce with savory mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. These components come together deliciously in this easy yet pasta dish that’s fancy enough to serve guests. Or, to enjoy with the family at home on even a weeknight – because it’s so easy!
how this Roasted Tomato Pasta with Mushrooms comes together
Here’s some details and guidance around the timing of how this dish comes together. It’s kind of a play-by-play that might be helpful as you prepare this scrumptious pasta.
Put the pasta water on the stove to boil.
While waiting for the water to boil, slice the tomatoes, and prepare them in the roasting dish by seasoning them and adding some oil.
Get them into the oven (you’ll roast them around 15 to 20 minutes).
By now your water might be starting to boil. Salt the water (I use a couple tablespoons of kosher salt) and add pasta.
While pasta is cooking, chop mushrooms and shallot and saute them.
While they’re in the pan, chop up the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs.
By this time, the mushrooms and shallot should be getting nice and browned, and your pasta might be nearly done – drain it when al dente.
Add the sun-dried tomatoes, pasta water and tomato paste to the mushrooms and shallots.
Add cooked pasta to the pan, along with the roasted tomatoes which should be ready by now.
Gently stir and add in your fresh herbs.
Some tasty substitutions for this pasta
There’s definitely room to substitute other ingredients that you may have on hand for this Roasted Tomato Pasta with Mushrooms and Herbs.
- First, you can substitute the herbs for your favorites. There is lots of flavor to be had with fresh herbs, and they work like magic in this dish. Dill, parsley, cilantro, basil, oregano.
- If you aren’t a fan of sun-dried tomatoes, another great option would be chopped olives of your choice, or even capers.
- Let’s talk mushrooms. I get it. Not everyone is a mushroom lover. If you’re not, another delicious option would be finely diced carrots, or even crumbled tofu (seasoned generously with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and optionally nutritional yeast).
Some helpful items for dishes like this
All opinions are my own. I get a small commission based on items purchased through these links.
Roasted Tomato Pasta with Mushrooms
- 2/3 lb. pasta
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt pepper and dried oregano
- 8 oz. mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes finely chopped, jarred, drain excess oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup pasta cooking water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed finely chopped herbs (parsley and basil)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice tomatoes and add to baking dish. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil, toss. Sprinkle generously salt, pepper and dried oregano. Toss. Bake approx 20 min until tomatoes start to release juices.
- Meanwhile, boil water for pasta. Salt the water and cook pasta until just al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water prior to draining.
- In a skillet, add the chopped mushrooms and oil. Cook approx 10 minutes until mushrooms are browned, then add shallots. Cook another 5 min, stir often.
- Add sun dried tomatoes, all the seasonings, and tomato paste. Stir, cook another minute. Add pasta cooking water, stir, add pasta and herbs.
- Stir well and squeeze in lemon juice, add the roasted tomatoes and serve.