This salad hits the spot on a chilly day, with roasted vegetables, hearty farro, and bright green beans.
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2 cups trimmed fresh green beans / haricot verts cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut in bite-sized chunks
- avocado oil for roasting
- 3/4 can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup dry farro
- 2 T fresh parsley
- 2 T minced red onion
- 1 T capers
- For the dressing: juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 T red wine vinegar, 6-8 cloves roasted garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, salt and pepper (makes extra dressing)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Layer cauliflower on a lined baking tray, with carrots next to the cauliflower. Sprinkle with avocado oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Roast for about 15 minutes, toss, and roast for approx 5 more minutes. Vegetables should be browned.
- While cauliflower and carrots are roasting, cook farro according to package directions, and set aside.
- Steam the green beans by cooking over medium head with an inch of water in the bottom of a saucepan. This takes approx 5-7 minutes. You’ll know the green beans are done when the color is bright green, and the green beans are fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Assemble the salad by combining the farro, green beans, chickpeas, cauliflower, and carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and add just enough dressing to the bowl to fully coat the mixture. Add the red onions and capers, and gently toss.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.