This Vegan Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Kale and Artichokes hits all the yummiest notes! Does it get any better than bright, tangy tomatoes and a white wine caper sauce? This pasta dish cooks up so easily and is so flavorful. Which means, it’s perfect for a weeknight dish, especially if you’re feeling FANCY! Everybody knows that a white wine sauce puts you in a fancy mood, am I right? It’s also one of the favorites from my Instagram page @janetsmunchmeals.
Why I love this for a busy weeknight (or any night)!
As per usual, I’m using simple ingredients for this dish, plus vibrant add-ins that are nourishing and satiating. Find some other favorite easy pasta recipes here, here and here. You likely will have the seasonings on hand in the pantry already, which I love to do. If possible, I prefer to avoid an impromptu grocery store run during the weekdays (disclaimer: but for the right craving, anything goes lol).
Let’s talk substitutions. If you’re not a kale lover for whatever reason, feel free to substitute a different green leafy veg of your choice. For example, spinach would work well in this dish. Or, even try escarole, broccolini, or broccoli rabe. Spinach will wilt in the same time as the kale. But, if using escarole, broccolini, or broccoli rabe, you can saute them a bit longer (2-3 minutes longer for the escarole, and 4-5 minutes for the broccolini or broccoli rabe). For pasta, I used this beautiful gluten-free option. Lastly, the original recipe uses white wine, but you can substitute vegetable broth (I love this option). It will be just as yummy.
Now I know not everyone loves capers like me (I’m a big fan of these tiny pickle-ey gems!). So, you can substitute them with olives of your choice, or leave them out altogether. This dish is really flexible to add your own favorites. I think some sun-dried tomatoes cut in thin slivers would also be fantastic in this dish, in addition to the existing ingredients (this variety is delicious). Or, you can substitute them for the marinated artichokes.
Making this dish as a meal prep?
As a big fan of meal prepping when possible / in the mood, here’s some tips as it relates to meal prep for this dish. This vegan pasta dish would be great the next day as leftovers, but if looking to make the dish for 3 or 4 days, I suggest you saute the kale (or spinach/escarole) on the day of. If using one of the other green veggies I mentioned earlier, then they should hold up fine for a few days in the fridge. Now, on to the good stuff!
Vegan Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Kale
- 1/2 lb. pasta of your choice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes sliced
- 3/4 cup white wine or veggie broth
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 medium bunch kale removed from stem and chopped in 1 inch pieces and gently massaged for a few seconds with touch of oil
- 1 cup marinated artichokes drained
- 3 tbsp capers optional
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Garnish: Red chili flakes optional
- Put pot of water on to boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, add oil to large pan over medium heat and once hot, add onion, stir frequently adding bit of water if pan is too dry along the way.
- Cook 5 min, add garlic and tomatoes and cook another 3 min, careful not to burn garlic.
- Add wine, basil, salt and pepper, stir, and raise heat if needed, to get bubbly. Then lower heat a bit to cook at a low simmer (just bubbly) for several min until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add kale and artichokes, stir, put cover on pan, and cook another 1 min. Uncover and stir. Kale should be bright green and slightly.
- Add sauce to cooked pasta and gently stir, adding capers and lemon juice.
- Taste and add more salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve and top with optional red chili flakes for some spicy heat!