This Rotini with Vegan Vodka Sauce is a deliciously decadent pasta dish with a light vodka sauce, flavored with tangy kalamata and green olives, and fresh tomatoes. It comes together so easily and packs such a flavor punch, that we’ll be making this very, very frequently.
This is one of those pasta dishes that is a true go-to, as it’s so simple to prepare yet feels fancy and is super satisfying. You can leave out the vodka if you like, and this dish will still be delicious. The tofu here adds great texture as well as lots of protein, making this a hearty meal that will keep you full. It’s also quite versatile to add in your favorite vegetables. Roasted vegetables would be a great addition to this dish.
- 1 lb. pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large spanish onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 14 oz. package of tofu or other protein, drained and dried
- 6 oz. jar marinated kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 3 oz. green olives, sliced in quarters
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, begin the sauce by adding the olive oil to a large saucepan, along with the onion and garlic over medium heat. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Add the vodka and reduce by half. Add the crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Stir to combine, and cook partially covered for about 10 more minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, in a separate frying pan, crumble the tofu and cook the tofu for about 7 minutes.
- Now comes the blending part (if desired) to get a smoother consistency in the sauce. Blend about 3 cups of sauce at a time in a large blender, carefully (it will be hot!!!).
- Return the sauce to the pan, and add the olives, tofu/protein, fresh basil, and cherry tomatoes. Pour sauce over pasta in the large pot that you cooked the pasta in, and cook it all together over medium-low heat for a minute or two.
- Garnish with additional fresh basil and red chili flakes if desired.