This is a deliciously decadent pasta dish with a light vodka sauce, flavored with tangy kalamata and green olives, and fresh tomatoes. It comes together so easily and packs such a flavor punch, that we’ll be making this very, very frequently.
- 1 lb. pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large spanish onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 14 oz. package of tofu or other protein, drained and dried
- 6 oz. jar marinated kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 3 oz. green olives, sliced in quarters
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, begin the sauce by adding the olive oil to a large saucepan, along with the onion and garlic over medium heat. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Add the vodka and reduce by half. Add the crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Stir to combine, and cook partially covered for about 10 more minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, in a separate frying pan, crumble the tofu and cook the tofu for about 7 minutes.
- Now comes the blending part (if desired) to get a smoother consistency in the sauce. Blend about 3 cups of sauce at a time in a large blender, carefully (it will be hot!!!).
- Return the sauce to the pan, and add the olives, tofu/protein, fresh basil, and cherry tomatoes. Pour sauce over pasta in the large pot that you cooked the pasta in, and cook it all together over medium-low heat for a minute or two.
- Garnish with additional fresh basil and red chili flakes if desired.