This Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Farfalle is a super comforting pasta with a hearty cream sauce, meatless crumbles, and lots of veggies. It’s full of flavor and comes together so easily!
The creamy, vegan cheezy sauce is easy to make and has so much flavor. I was craving a hearty veggie pasta, and with meatless crumbles and greens, this pasta is so satisfying!
This dish comes together in three easy steps:
- Make the pasta
- Cook the veggies
- Prepare the sauce
The combination of mushrooms and spinach is so great together, especially in this creamy sauce. The creaminess of the sauce is made with plant-based milk and a mix of dairy-free mozzarella and cheddar shreds.
If you haven’t used meatless crumbles before, just make sure to check the package instructions. Some varieties will need to be re-hydrated with water (or you can use vegetable broth for extra flavor). Others can simply be crumbled and sauteed on the stove without the need for re-hydration.
How This Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Comes Together
You can use the pasta of your choice for this, and either a long or short pasta will work well. Farfalle was my go-to for this recipe. Cook the farfalle according to the package directions for al dente. I like to add 2 tsp kosher salt to the pasta cooking water. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it.
While the pasta is cooking, preheat a large pan on medium heat. Prepare the onions and mushrooms, then add them to the pan along with the oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir together, and cook 10-12 min on medium to medium-high heat. Stir the veggies every now and then, until the water from the mushrooms start to evaporate and the mushrooms begin to brown.
Then add the butter and stir. Add the flour and stir. Drizzle in the milk, stirring. Bring the sauce to a low simmer and cook 3-5 min. Be sure to avoid the milk boiling. Slowly add the cheeses, stirring frequently until cheese melts.
Stir in the spinach and meatless crumbles, as the spinach starts to wilt. Stir in the farfalle and parsley. Serve the pasta topped with optional toasted breadcrumbs*.
*To toast the breadcrumbs, heat a pan over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and optionally add two tsp vegan butter. Toss the breadcrumbs frequently until breadcrumbs are golden brown. If your breadcrumbs are unseasoned, season them with a dash of salt, pepper, dried parsley, and garlic powder.
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes
Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Pasta
- 1/2 lb. farfalle pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 16 oz. sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups plain unsweetened oat or almond milk
- 1 cup dairy free mozzarella shreds
- 1 cup dairy free cheddar shreds
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups @goodsidefoods rehydrated meatless crumbles
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted seasoned panko breadcrumbs optional*
- Cook farfalle according to package directions for al dente, adding 2 tbsp kosher salt to the pasta cooking water. Drain.
- Meanwhile, preheat large pan on medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir, cook 10-12 min on medium to medium-high heat, stirring periodically until water from mushrooms evaporate and they start browning.
- Add butter, stir to melt it, then add flour and stir. Drizzle in milk, stirring to combine. Bring to a low simmer and cook 3 to 5 minutes, avoiding the milk boiling. Slowly add cheeses, stirring frequently until cheese melts.
- Stir in spinach and meatless crumbles until spinach starts to wilt. Stir in farfalle and parsley. Serve topped with optional toasted breadcrumbs.