This Southwest Chkn & White Bean Soup packs so much delicious flavor and texture, and is so simple to prepare too! With hearty beans and plant-based chicken, this soup is also rich with protein and makes a perfect lunch or light dinner.
This blog post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market.
This hearty soup is just what I crave on a chilly day, or whenever I’m looking for a cozy soup that’s simple yet super flavorful. A savory spice mix brings tons of flavor into the soup, along with onions, tomato and corn to provide the base for this soup.
Along with creamy white beans (you can use cannellini or great northern), there’s also satisfying plant-based chicken in this soup! The Chkn Not Chicken plant-based chicken shreds are so perfect in this soup to give great texture. Plus, it’s part of the “Find a New Favorite” program at Sprouts! This means that items in this program are exclusive to Sprouts and can’t be found anywhere else.
I love shopping for my plant-based favorites at Sprouts Farmers Market because the selection is so awesome. From a great variety of fresh produce, to vegan products like this, I know I can find what I need at Sprouts. There’s a HUGE array of vegan alternatives, from vegan meat alternatives to dairy alternatives.
How This Southwest Chkn & White Bean Soup Comes Together
Preparing the base: start by preheating a large pan or soup pot on medium heat. Add the finely chopped onions and most of the avocado oil and salt, and cook the onions for 6 to 8 minutes on medium-low until they’re translucent. During this time, mix up the spices: in a small bowl, combine the paprika, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder and oregano. Add half the spice mix and the frozen corn, and cook for a few minutes before adding the uncooked ditalini pasta.
Adding the liquids: now you’ll add the vegetable broth and canned crushed tomatoes, along with some tomato paste. Stir these together and cook partially covered at a simmer for 10 minutes.
Cooking the Chkn Not Chicken: preheat a separate skillet, then add the remaining oil, the thawed Chkn Not Chicken and remaining salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the remaining half of the spice mix. Stir and cook another minute.
Adding the rest: the ditalini will be nearly cooked at this point, so you can add the cooked Chkn Not Chicken, the drained and rinsed beans, and the roasted red peppers. Cook everything together for another few minutes. Taste for seasoning and feel free to add more salt and/or black pepper if desired.
Topping it off: to serve, there’s lots of toppings options. I love to serve this with pickled jalapeno, sliced avocado, plant-based sour cream, green onion, and tortilla chips.
Other Delicious Soup Recipes
Southwest Chkn & White Bean Soup
- ½ medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. avocado oil divided
- 1 ¼ tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- ¾ cup ditalini pasta
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz. Chkn Not Chicken Naked Chkn flavor, thawed from frozen
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini or great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers drained and finely chopped
- ¼ cup plant-based sour cream optional
- 2 tbsp. pickled jalapeno slices optional
- 1 avocado sliced, optional
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion optional
- 2 cups Blue corn tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat a very large pan or a soup pot on medium heat. Add ½ medium yellow onion finely chopped, 3 tbsp. avocado oil, and 1 tsp. kosher salt. Stir and cook on medium-low for 6 to 8 min until translucent. While onions cook, add 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, and 2 tsp. dried oregano to a small bowl and stir together.
- Add 1 ½ cups frozen corn and half the spice mixture to the pan, stir, and cook 3 min. Add ¾ cup ditalini pasta, 4 cups vegetable broth, 1 ½ tbsp. tomato paste, and ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes. Stir and cook at a simmer, partially covered, for 10 min.
- While soup cooks, preheat a skillet on medium heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp. avocado oil and 4 oz. thawed Chickn Not Chicken. Cook 3 to 4 min, stirring halfway. Add remaining half of spice mix and remaining ¼ tsp. kosher salt, stir and cook another min. Add 15 oz. beans, 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, and Chickn Not Chicken to soup. Stir and cook 2 to 3 min or until ditalini is tender.
- Divide soup among serving bowls and top with optional toppings, if using: ¼ cup plant-based sour cream, 2 tbsp. pickled jalapeno slices, 1 sliced avocado, and ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion. Serve with 2 cups blue corn tortilla chips.