This delicious Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich tastes so fresh and decadent, and it is so simple to make! It combines creamy avocado, crisp red onion, tangy tomato, and a super flavorful herb pesto made with fresh basil, dill and parsley!
This blog post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market.
There’s something so yummy and special about a really great sandwich. The delicious bread. The vibrant filling. The sauces. It all stacks up to be one big handful of delicious! And this Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich is no exception. It makes a great lunch or light dinner option that’s easy to put together, with a huge payoff in flavor.
For this Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich, we use toasted brioche bread slices and slather them with bold and herbaceous pesto. The creamy avocado, lettuce and tomato add a great mix of textures and freshness too.
The Sprouts Farmers Market brioche bread is brand-new and is part of the recent launch at Sprouts of their plant-based breads to include brioche, white and wheat breads. This is so exciting for me, since brioche has been a bread that was typically not vegan-friendly. So, this will be a new go-to and along with the white and wheat bread too, as they’re all free from artificial flavors, colors and preservatives.
The brioche bread is so perfectly soft and fluffy, and has the perfect chewy texture – and when toasted, it crisps to perfection for this Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich.
How This Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich Comes Together
Start by making the pesto: simply add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor, and blend until they’re smooth.
Slice the onions and tomatoes: you can slice these as thick or thin as you like.
Toast the bread and slice the avocado: while the bread is cooling off, slice the avocado (if you dice it, it will be more difficult to stay together).
Putting it all together: on the bottom slice, spread a nice layer of pesto, topped with red onion, avocado and tomato. I like to add some more pesto to the top slice.
Other Delicious Lunch and Sandwich Recipes
If you make this Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich, I would love to see it and hear what you think! You can tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and comment here.
Avocado and Herb Pesto Sandwich
- 6 slices Sprouts Brioche Plant-Based Bread
- 1 ½ avocados
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/8 of a medium red onion
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup packed fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. packed fresh dill
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup shredded vegan parmesan
- 3 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- Add all Herb Pesto ingredients to a food processor, and blend until smooth: (1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, ¼ cup (packed fresh parsley), 1 tbsp. (packed) fresh dill, ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup shredded vegan parmesan, 3 tbsp. toasted pine nuts, ½ tsp. kosher salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, juice of ¼ lemon, 1 large garlic clove, minced).
- Toast the 6 slices of brioche bread.
- While bread is toasting, slice 1½ avocados, 2 roma tomatoes, and 1/8 of a red onion.
- To assemble, spread 1 to 1 ½ tbsp. of pesto on bottom bread slices for the sandwiches, and a little less on the top slices. Layer sliced avocado on bottom slices, then repeat for sliced tomato and red onion.
- Serve sandwiches with any remaining pesto.