This Cozy Vegetable and Macaroni Soup is full of nourishing ingredients and is so simple to put together. Making delicious soup at home is easy with this hearty and cozy recipe!
Tips for making delicious soup at home
There are many things that you can do to make your homemade soups really flavorful, without going overboard on the salt like many store bought soups. My favorite tips are below!
- start with a base of really flavorful vegetables: here I used onion and carrots, or add celery and garlic. You can layer in additional vegetables and greens like spinach or kale from there. Using a variety of vegetables in different colors will also add vibrancy and nutrients to your soup.
- lots of dried and/or fresh herbs: use dried herbs during the cooking process like oregano, bay leaf, basil, tarragon and add chopped fresh herbs at the end of cooking to serve.
- add citrus (or can sub vinegar) at the end: a shot of lemon juice or vinegar at the end of cooking makes a yummy difference.
- don’t be afraid to use hearty ground spices like turmeric, coriander, cumin: a little goes a long way in a soup like this, and adds great depth of flavor.
- this may be preference, but I prefer to use broth instead of stock for more full flavor, and I love this one; you can experiment and find what works for your liking. Another alternative is to add bit of soy sauce for more depth of flavor.
- In tomato based soups, you can add some tomato paste for additional concentrated tomato flavor.
How this Cozy Vegetable and Macaroni Soup comes together
- Start by chopping your onions and carrots and put them in large pot with the oil.
- Season them and start cooking.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice the cabbage and get your pasta, vegetable broth and baby spinach handy.
- Add the other ingredients and cook until the pasta is nearly done.
- Then add the cabbage, and 1 to 2 minutes later, the baby spinach.
Other favorite soup recipes
Cozy Vegetable and Macaroni Soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 cup dry pasta used elbow macaroni
- 4 to 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup napa cabbage very thinly sliced
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- In a large pot, add onions, carrots, oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric.
- Stir, cook on medium heat covered, for 10 min, stirring occasionally, adding water to prevent burning if needed.
- Add pasta, broth (start with 4 cups and add more later if desired), beans, oregano, basil, and stir. Cook until pasta is barely al dente.
- Add in cabbage, cook 1 min. Add spinach, stir, cook 1 to 2 min.