This is a deliciously simple and comforting soup that is great for chilly days (or any day!), and is even kid-approved in our house due to its mild flavors and creamy texture.
- 2 T avocado oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups diced sweet potato
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder (vary according to spice preference)
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, add oil, onions, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often and adding small amounts of water (if needed) to prevent sticking.
- Add remaining ingredients except coconut milk. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat to maintain a low simmer and cook (still covered) for about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Blend with an immersion blender, or in a blender or food processor. If using a blender or food processor, blend in 2 to 3 batches depending on the size of your gadget.*
- Top with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
* Please take extra caution to avoid burning yourself, and leave some room for air to escape out the top of the machine (can gently cover with a kitchen towel while blending.