This Vegan Chickpea and Mushroom Curry is like a warm hug in a bowl. Mild in spice, and big on flavor, this is a comforting dish that is great for a crowd.
The spice mix for this dish
Several pantry staple spices come together for this warming Vegan Chickpea and Mushroom Curry. My favorites that I have on the usual rotation are: chili powder, curry powder, turmeric, garam masala, cumin. The spices are key in this dish and in other curries like this one and this one. Combine them with the coconut milk, delicious vegetables and beans, and you’ve got one amazing meal.
I’ve been loving this Indian spice box recommended by Nisha at Rainbow Plant Life! It’s perfect to keep your spices for Indian-inspired dishes like this one.
Using Coconut Milk as a Base
Curries made with coconut milk are often fast, simple and delicious. I love using coconut milk as the base for ALL of these reasons:
- The creamy texture of the coconut milk helps make the dish super comforting and hearty
- The sauce comes together with rice so well, to create a match made in heaven as the sauce coats each and every delicious grain of rice (can you tell I love this?!)
- Coconut milk can be a healthier option than other traditional cream
- Even if coconut flavor is not your favorite, the spice blend of the curry makes any remaining coconut-iness WAY less detectable
I try to have a can or two of coconut milk in the pantry if possible, as it helps to create a quick and easy meal every time:
Vegan Chickpea and Mushroom Curry
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato puree or marinara
- 3/4 can coconut milk full fat
- 3/4 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2/3 cup corn
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped (optional)
- Add oil, mushrooms and onion to pan, cook 5 min.
- Add bell peppers and all spices (start with the 1/2 tsp salt and add more at the end if desired), cook 5 min.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and gently simmer, covered for 10 min.
- Serve and top with cilantro if desired.