This savory Vegan Black Beans and Onions dish is super simple and makes the perfect satisfying meal to pair with rice or to serve as a flavorful side dish. It also comes together in a flash and is a great meal prep option to have on hand for the week.
How to describe this dish
Perfect for lazy nights
Ready in a flash
Has endless toppings possibilities
Pantry ingredients come together deliciously
One day I was in the mood for some chili, but was also feeling incredibly lazy at the same time…am I the only one this happens to? Either way, I knew I needed to put something together quickly, as hangriness was seriously looming. What I like about this dish is that it’s so dang easy, and all you need are some pantry ingredients.
You’ll be surprised how short the directions list is for these Black Beans and Onions, but it’s really that simple. Which is perfect for a lazy night, or a weekend where you’d rather be hanging out with family and friends outside of the kitchen.
You can make it this easily:
Saute onions, add seasonings and remaining ingredients, then simmer for 15 minutes!
If black beans aren’t your thing, how about this Vegan Pinto Bean Stew? Almost just as simple, and uses creamy, delicious pinto beans as the star.
Helpful items for this dish
Some key items get used again and again for so many dishes, and are always kept close in reach in the kitchen.
Vegan Black Beans and Onions
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cans black beans one can drain and rinse, other can use all the liquid
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk + 1/2 cup marinara sauce or tomato puree
- In a pan or pot, add oil, onions, salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, cook at a low simmer, covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.