Don’t you just love it when you can use ingredients that you already have in your fridge and pantry to put a meal together that tastes great and will energize you, rather than leave you feeling like you need a nap afterwards?That’s how this Tempeh Avocado Wrap with Mango Salsa came about.
WHY I LOVE THIS DISH
This was such a satisfying dish, and took about 20 minutes to prepare. Packed with flavor, AND fast? Count me in, every time.
You can substitute various ingredients (such as the protein or veggies) based on what you have handy, and the possibilities are endless. The quick and easy recipe is below, but first… a brief note about tempeh.
SOME NOTES ON THE PROCESS
As I recently became more interested in finding plant-based protein sources, I turned to tempeh as a potential front-runner. However, I quickly realized that it made sense to do some research into how to prepare it. Tempeh does have a somewhat bitter taste, albeit still delicious. To minimize that bitterness, take your tempeh from the package and steam it for about ten minutes. You can do this by just cutting the full package into two or three segments and putting it in a steamer basket or a saucepan with water.
I was hopeful that this trick would work to remove the bitter taste, and it certainly did. The tempeh can then be diced or cut into long strips for whatever recipe you’re using it for. Here, I cut the tempeh into strips and sauteed it.
Tempeh Avocado Wrap with Mango Salsa
INGREDIENTS (2 servings):
Tempeh Avocado Wrap
- 2/3 package tempeh, steamed as described above (I used Lightlife Organic Tempeh, have used the Three Grain or Flax version)
- 1 teaspoon oil (such as coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tortilla wraps
- 4T hummus
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Tahini Drizzle (1T tahini mixed with juice of 1/8 lime)
- lime wedges (garnish)
- chopped cilantro (garnish)
- 1 cup fresh mango or thawed frozen mango
- 1 cup chopped tomato (can use cherry, grape, plum tomato)
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1T chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2T minced red onion (optional)
- garlic powder to taste (optional)
Tempeh Avocado Wrap
- Slice tempeh into long strips and season with salt and pepper to taste, the garlic powder, and oregano. Saute in oil over medium heat, turning to lightly brown on all sides, for about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the wrap, take one tortilla and spread half of the hummus across the middle.
- Layer on half of the shredded carrots over the hummus.
- Layer on half of the baby spinach over the carrots.
- Place the cooked tempeh over top of the veggies.
- Top with 1-2 slices of avocado and the tahini drizzle.
- Wrap up both sides and secure with a toothpick if desired.
- Repeat the process for the second tortilla wrap.
- Garnish with lime wedges, rest of the avocado, and chopped cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients (I know, super easy right?).
- Divide into two servings to accompany the wraps.