As I was perusing the Garden Farm Market, I casually spotted a GARGANTUAN package of dates. How could I resist? Sitting right next to them was a package of dried cranberries, and these Cranberry Oat Bites were born. Medjool dates are popular due to their sweet and softer texture, but the regular old Deglet Noor found frequently in stores need not be neglected either. Both are delicious and can be used to make these Cranberry Oat Bites, or an endless variety of other possibilities.
All you need is a food processor and 10 minutes, and these addictive bites can be made using just a few ingredients. I had fun with the toppings, which can really be anything (well not exactly anything, but almost!).
- 20 pitted dates
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- optional toppings: maple syrup, shredded coconut, hulled hemp seed hearts, chopped pumpkin seeds, chopped almonds, cacao powder
- Combine dates and cranberries in a food processor and pulse until they break down and start to form into a ball.
- Remove from the mixture from the food processor and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add the oats and combine with a heavy spoon, using hands if needed.
- Hand roll into small round balls of about 3/4 inch in diameter.
- Brush on maple syrup and sprinkle with optional toppings.