This Vegan Creamy Potato and Sausage Soup is a hearty, savory, and super satisfying soup that the whole family will love. It is simple to make and will be ready in under 40 minutes!
This blog post is sponsored by Māla Girl Broths.
As soup season continues, this is the perfect soup to keep you warm and cozy (and even in the warmer months, who can resist??). It’s filled with soft and creamy potatoes, ditalini pasta, vegan sausage, and bright baby spinach. The creamy broth, thanks to Māla Girl Broths, is a breeze to make and provides so much delicious flavor.
This soup makes around 4 servings and will be sure to satisfy, with its hearty ingredients – making it a great option for a light dinner or lunch. Or you can serve it as a side dish as well!
The Māla Girl Broths come in 6 different broth flavors, and for this soup, I used the Soulfull Classic flavor. What I love about the Māla Girl Broths is that not only are they unique-tasting and super flavorful, they also contain nourishing ingredients! The Soulfull Classic ingredients include cacao butter, lemon, himalayan salt, onion, celery, yeast flakes, dulse, ginger, herbs and spices. How cool is that?! The other broth flavors are Cosmic Curry, Miracle Moringa, Fireball Basil, Mystic Maca and Mushroom Brainiac. I seriously have such a hard time choosing a favorite. The broth powders make it SO easy to add big flavors into your soups and savory dishes, without needing a ton of other flavor-builders.
Tips for Making This Vegan Creamy Potato and Sausage Soup
If you’re making this soup to have as leftovers or as a meal prep in advance, I recommend leaving the baby spinach and cooked vegan sausage separate stored in the fridge. This way, you can add them in when you reheat the soup directly. I think this provides the best texture. However, if you don’t want to store separately, it will still be good!
You can use your favorite plant-based sausage for this recipe. I used two large sausages that totaled 7 oz., but some brands may be smaller. You can either crumble the sausage like I did, or slice it in chunks. I like the Fieldroast, Lightlife and Beyond Meat brands.
How This Recipe Comes Together
This soup is simple to make and has a few components to it, during cooking. In the main pan or pot, you’ll begin by cooking the onions in some avocado oil and while those are cooking, you can put the pasta on to cook. While the onions are cooking, peel and dice the potatoes. Keep in mind that the smaller you dice the potatoes, the quicker they will get tender. Then add in the diced potatoes along with the white wine. Let the wine bubble and simmer until most of it has evaporated.
Next, add in the flour, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Give that a stir and go ahead and add the broth powder and water. I like to add in around 4 1/2 cups of the water and see how thick it gets, then add in the remaining 1/2 cup if I’d like to thin it out. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes on medium/medium-low or until the potatoes are tender.
You’ll also cook the sausage during this time that the potatoes are cooking, in a small skillet. This way, we can get the sausage nice and browned / crisp to your liking so that you can add it in at the end along with baby spinach. In this recipe, the sausage is crumbled but you can also use sliced sausage.
To finish up the soup, add in the baby spinach to wilt for a minute, and the cooked pasta and sausage goes in at the end too. I love to serve this soup with red chili flakes for spice, and some dairy free shredded parmesan.
Other Delicious Soup Recipes to Try
If you make this Vegan Creamy Potato and Sausage Soup, I would love to see it! You can tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and leave a comment here!
Vegan Creamy Potato and Sausage Soup
- ½ large red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- ¾ cup uncooked ditalini pasta
- 3 small to medium russet potatoes
- ¼ cup dry vegan white wine
- 1 tsp Māla Girl Sparkle Salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 5 tbsp Māla Girl Soulfull Classic
- 4 ½ to 5 cups filtered water
- 2 plant-based sausages 7 oz. total
- 1/3 cup dairy-free heavy cream
- 2 cups gently packed baby spinach
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes for serving optional
- Dairy-free parmesan cheese shreds for serving optional
- Preheat a very large pan or soup pot on medium heat, then add red onion and avocado oil. Stir, cook 7 to 8 min on medium-low, adding a few tablespoons of water if needed to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, cook ditalini pasta according to package directions in salted water until just al dente, then drain. Peel and dice potatoes into 1 cm cubes. Add potatoes and wine to onions, stir, and let wine bubble away until most liquid has evaporated.
- Add Sparkle Salt, all-purpose flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and stir to incorporate. Add Soulfull Classic broth powder, and 4 cups water. Stir, cover, and bring to gentle simmer. Let gently simmer, covered, 10 to 12 min until potatoes are just tender. If getting too thick, add remaining ½ cup of water. While potatoes cook, crumble the plant-based sausages into a separate skillet with a touch of oil, and cook 4 to 5 min, stirring occasionally, until starting to lightly brown.
- Once potatoes are tender, add heavy cream and spinach. Stir and cook a minute until spinach wilts, then add cooked ditalini and sausage. Stir and serve with optional red chili flakes and parmesan shreds, if using.