These Vegan BBQ Nachos with Cilantro Lime Slaw are an incredibly flavorful twist on traditional nachos. They are fully loaded with black beans and jackfruit in a deliciously tangy apple bbq sauce. Topped with vegan cheese, creamy slaw, jalapenos and hot sauce, they are sure to become your new favorite!
This blog post is sponsored by North Coast Organic.
There’s some new nachos in town, and they pack a flavor and texture punch! These amazingly yummy Vegan BBQ Nachos with Cilantro Lime Slaw are so irresistible and are also so simple to put together. There’s no need to order takeout or leave the house to get your nachos fix, when you can make some fantastic nachos right at home!
These nachos are not only super delicious, but they’re also protein-packed and filled with veggies. The texture is also off the charts, with creamy beans, slightly chewy jackfruit, and crispness from the chips and craveworthy slaw. Also, these nachos are colorful and vibrant, making them a fun addition to your family table or summer gathering!
The Apple BBQ Sauce is soooo good and the North Coast Organic Apple Sauce adds the perfect twist to a traditional bbq sauce. It brings a sweetness that is really yummy with the other tangy flavors going on in this recipe.
Plus, this recipe features two products from North Coast Organic! North Coast is specialized in making organic apple juice, apple sauce, and apple cider vinegar. And my family has been loving their products! The products are all 100% certified USDA organic and non-GMO Project certified. North Coast leverages expertise that spans nearly 100 years, and focuses on making delicious, wholesome products while at the same time, preserving agricultural traditions in the community.
I love that the products are made without added sugars or preservatives, and also are fresh-pressed – never from concentrate! Therefore there’s no need to add back sweeteners, colors or artificial compounds to get the natural apple flavor, since it was never lost! You can learn more from their website, here, and also where you can find their products in stores.
How These Vegan BBQ Nachos with Cilantro Lime Slaw Come Together
First, start by preparing the black bean and jackfruit topping for your nachos. Finely chop 1/2 of a yellow onion, and add that to a large skillet with some avocado oil, salt and pepper. While the onion is cooking, drain and rinse the young jackfruit, then pull apart the pieces. I like to use my hands for this, as it’s so quick and easy. Alternatively, you can use two forks, and discard any harder core bits. Add the jackfruit to the pan and allow it to cook with the onion until getting nicely browned. Then, add in the black beans.
Next, get the Apple BBQ Sauce working. This sauce is super easy to make! Simply add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan, and whisk it together. Bring the sauce to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to simmer for around 10 minutes.
To make the coleslaw, shred the napa cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots and put them into a mixing bowl. You can alternatively use a store-bought coleslaw mix to make things easier! Then add finely chopped cilantro. The dressing is simple to make. You can whisk up all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add it into the vegetables, and toss them together.
Add most of the Apple BBQ Sauce to the jackfruit and black bean mixture. But, save a couple tablespoons to serve with. You’re now ready to assemble the nachos! Have the coleslaw handy, and also some of your favorite hot sauce. You’ll also need some lime wedges and more fresh cilantro to serve.
Lay out the tortilla chips on a small-size baking tray, or around 3/4 of a large baking tray. Either works! Then spoon over the jackfruit and bean mixture.
Then, the vegan cheddar and mozzarella shreds go on top next, to go under the broiler to melt. Once it’s melted, spoon the coleslaw over the chips. Finally, you’ll top with the extra fresh cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce, and sauce.
If you make these Vegan BBQ Nachos with Cilantro Lime Slaw, I’d love to see it! Tag me on Instagram @janetsmunchmeals and/or comment here!
Vegan BBQ Nachos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
- ½ of a yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 15 oz. can young jackfruit drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup packed thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup packed thinly sliced napa cabbage
- ¼ cup packed thinly sliced carrot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 to 5 servings tortilla chips
- 1/3 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- ¼ cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- jalapeno slices for serving
- extra fresh cilantro for serving
- lime wedges for serving
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce for serving
Apple BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup North Coast Organic Apple Sauce
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp vegan Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tbsp North Coast Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat a large skillet on medium heat. Add onions avocado oil, salt and pepper and let cook while preparing jackfruit. Shred jackfruit by pulling the pieces apart with your fingers or with forks, then add it to the pan. Stir and cook for 5 to 7 min, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add black beans, stir and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add all Apple BBQ Sauce ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk together thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and gently simmer for 10 min. Stir in most of sauce to the jackfruit-black bean mixture, reserving a couple tablespoons to serve with.
- Whisk together all Slaw Dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then add it to the red cabbage, napa cabbage, carrots, and cilantro. Gently toss together, taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Assemble nachos by arranging tortilla chips across a small baking tray (or around ¾ of a large baking tray). Spoon jackfruit-black bean mixture across chips, followed by vegan cheddar and mozzarella. Place baking tray under broiler until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and spoon slaw over top. Top with jalapeno slices, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce, and remaining Apple BBQ Sauce.