These BBQ Tofu Tacos with Nectarine Salsa are a delicious and fun way to celebrate the summer season! Loaded with fresh nectarines, homemade barbecue sauce, and creamy avocado, these tacos are sure to be a hit.
This recipe has ALL the summer vibes and celebrates the incredibly fresh and seasonal stone fruit from Sprouts Farmers Market! I’m always excited to check out the beautiful variety of goods at Sprouts’ Produce Department. One of the best things about summer stone fruit is the range of (sweet and savory!) recipes you can enjoy them with, or just on their own.
The Sprouts website has lots of other delicious stone fruit recipes here.
In addition to desserts, my favorite way to enjoy nectarines are to incorporate them into a savory dish like these BBQ Tofu Tacos with Nectarine Salsa. The nectarines add a delicious sweetness to balance out the spicy, tangy barbecue sauce.
This Nectarine Salsa is filled with sweet flavors, fresh herbs, and tangy lime juice. The salsa makes the perfect match for the crispy tofu coated in homemade barbecue sauce! All wrapped in a warm tortilla.
You just can’t beat a super colorful and vibrant meal that’s light and flavorful for summertime. Plus, if you’re a barbecue sauce fan, I think you’ll love this simple homemade version that is SO quick to make. All you need is a few pantry ingredients and seasonings to make this delicious tangy-sweet sauce.
HOW THIS DISH COMES TOGETHER
These BBQ Tofu Tacos with Nectarine Salsa come together in a few simple steps.
- Brown and season the tofu.
- Mix the BBQ sauce together and cook.
- Dice up your ingredients for the Nectarine Salsa.
- Assemble the tacos!
OTHER LIGHT DISHES FOR SUMMER
BBQ Tofu Tacos with Nectarine Salsa
- 1 15 oz. package super firm tofu diced in 2 cm cubes or extra firm tofu, pressed well to remove moisture
- 2 tsp. oil
- ½ tsp. each garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 4-6 tortillas of your choice
- ½ cup natural ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. agave
- 2 nectarines diced
- 1 ½ bell peppers diced
- ¼ large red onion finely chopped
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 tsp. packed finely chopped mint (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp. packed, to taste finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. agave
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- In a large skillet, add, add the 1 packaged tofu (diced) and the 2 tsp. oil. Cook over medium heat for approx. 10 minutes until lightly browned, turning gently every few minutes.
- Sprinkle the ½ tsp. each garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder over the tofu, gently toss, then sprinkle the 1-2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce or tamari evenly over the tofu. Season with salt to taste. Gently stir, and cook an additional three minutes, flipping occasionally.
- While tofu is cooking, add all Barbecue Sauce ingredients to a small saucepan. Gently simmer over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Once tofu is finished cooking, pour the barbecue sauce over the tofu, reserving some sauce for serving.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the 2 nectarines diced, 1 ½ bell peppers diced, ¼ large red onion finely chopped, 2 avocados diced, 2-3 Tbsp. (packed) finely chopped cilantro, and optional 2 tsp. (packed) finely chopped mint.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 1 Tbsp. agave, juice of 1 lime, 2 tsp. olive oil, ¾ tsp. kosher salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, and ½ tsp. garlic powder. Pour over the salsa ingredients into the mixing bowl. Gently toss to coat.
- Divide the barbecue sauce coated tofu pieces among the 4 to 6 tortillas (warm the tortillas first if desired). Divide the Nectarine Salsa over top (leaving any remaining liquid in the bowl). Drizzle remaining barbecue sauce over top.