These sweet potato quinoa burgers with sriracha green chili guacamole are deliciously seasoned and flavorful, while packing a spicy kick in the guacamole. These burgers have become a go-to in our house, with satisfying and nutritious ingredients that don’t hold out on the flavor.
Since having a sweet potato quinoa burger at a restaurant on Main St. in our town a few months ago, I have been seriously craving it.
I decided to make my own version, given my growing love for all things sweet potato, and my well-established love for quinoa dishes. It is comforting to know that the burgers made in my kitchen are a heck of a lot healthier than the restaurant version, and equally as delightful; they are easy to make with minimal ingredients.
Now the guacamole…what can I say. Sriracha added to most anything is amazing, but here in this dish, it pairs really well with the flavors in the burger – like the cumin, onion, and garlic. Adding green chilies to the mix was another flavor addition that was welcome in this guacamole, adding a subtle heat that also compliments the sweetness in the burger.
I was excited to experiment with this guacamole, as I usually make a standard handful of sauce and dips with avocado – such as traditional guac, an avocado-cilantro crema that goes so deliciously well on so many dishes, and an avocado pesto that is divine on pasta and even potatoes. After raiding the pantry, I came out with sriracha and a small can of diced green chilies, red onion, and a lemon….as in, all the ingredients I need to make a delicious guacamole.
You can serve the burger with any bread or burger bun of your choice. I chose toasted sourdough, which I had on hand, and it was super delicious. I placed the burger on a bed of baby spinach, topped with the guacamole and extra sriracha, and yum!!
Needless to say, I will be making this dish many times over (and have done so since originally creating it a few weeks ago!).
Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers with Sriracha Green Chili Guacamole (Vegan)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 4 large burgers)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 medium onion diced and cooked
- 2.5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup oat flour (or rolled oats blended in a food processor)
- 2 T oil for cooking
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (or more if you like spicy)
- 3 T canned diced green chilies
- 1 T minced red onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- Bake two medium sweet potatoes in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven until fully cooked.
- Place cooked sweet potato into a food processor. Add the quinoa and other burger ingredients (except the oat flour) and blend until relatively smooth but with some texture.
- Remove mixture and place into a bowl. Gently mix in the oat flour to even distribute throughout.
- Shape the mixture into burgers about 3/4 inch thick.
- Add oil to a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is getting hot, place your burgers into the pan, leaving room around each burger (do not crowd the pan).
- Cook approximately 4-5 minutes per side, being careful not to break the burger while flipping. The burger should be nicely browned when you flip it.
- Mash the avocado with a fork on a large plate or in a mixing bowl.
- Then stir in the remaining ingredients and taste for seasoning. Add more salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve guacamole on top of sweet potato quinoa burgers.